Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Review: CONAN AND THE MIDNIGHT GOD



From DARK HORSE

CONAN AND THE MIDNIGHT GOD TPB

Joshua Dysart, Will Conrad




“Conan has won the throne of Aquilonia and the hand of the beautiful Zenobia. With a kingdom to rule and an heir on the way, will the Cimmerian finally put up his sword for good? Don't bet on it. When his bride and country are attacked by a sinister Stygian sorcerer, Conan strikes back at Stygia with all his might - and the might of Aquilonia - in a move that threatens to throw all Hyboria into chaos!”



This is an old Conan we are seeing, and it is very cool to see an angry, old crusty King who faces a hated sorcerer again, and has to be ruthless. Joshua Dysart is about as wonderful to chat as I know in the industry, his work runs the gauntlet between dark and playful, violent and serene. This work is one where I just adored what I was seeing, even if I was not sure it was what Robert E. Howard might have done with his character. For example, while this is supposedly an older and settled in life Conan, he is much less wise than normal. However, while this Conan seems more rash than most depictions, at least in his reactions and decisions, I think an old Conan fighting his eternal source of anger, his traditional enemy, SORCERERS is great fun. He travels across territories, leaves his own homeland open to invasion, all to avenge himself against a single sorcerer. The eldritch witchcraft and unholy God, reminded me that this book felt also darker and gloomier in some manner similar to Howard’s work in the Cthulhu mythos, violent and without hope in many ways. There is very little here to not recommend, the art is good, moody and strikes a tone that is perfect for the story. The writing is very good. Altogether while slightly imperfect, this is a book I liked, and am grateful to have read it for review.

4 comments:

Steve Chaput said...

I remember first encountering the work of Robert E. Howard and CONAN back in high school. For me the character was totally new and unlike anything else I'd read of before, with the possible exception of TARZAN. When Marvel comics began to adapt the stories and create new adventures I was instantly hooked.

It seems hard to believe now, that Howard, like his contemporary H.P. Lovecraft were all but forgotten at one point by all but a small group of pulp fans. Now both men are considered legendary and their works taught in colleges.

alex-ness said...

I read the Conan pastiches and thought eh. Then a friend sent me a collection of Pure Howard, even simple unfinished beginnings and the power of writing was so much more intense.

Conan by REH is a dream.

Brynna said...

I never really got into Conan. I've always liked Daredevil. :D

alex-ness said...

Well you have one barbarian who is vulgar and powerful, and one lawyer who is sophisticated and graceful, I'd think you chose correctly my padawan.