Sunday, November 23, 2008

Is It Really a Deal?

I sit in my high tower, staring at the people below. It is dark, and all I have is the red glow of neon to comfort me. And the green glow of greed to amuse me.

You see, this game was designed with people’s greed in mind. I laugh to myself each time I offer an amount higher than the last, and yet, people still continue. They want more. Much more. Whatever they want, it needs to be more. These people are fascinating.


Only the host and I know this game. Really know it. He laughs along with me, though I am amused more, for I don’t have to deal with the greedy roaches. And they are roaches—scurrying around, taking what’s not theirs, trying to get more of what’s not theirs. And almost succeeding…if only they didn’t run into the mist of bug spray first.

And that is the same sort of effect that opening a case of high numbers has on the greedy person. They’re all hyped up, hoping to get that last bit of low numbers, when, the pesticide can in the shape of 1,000,000 million dollars gets opened in a case. When everyone else groans, I laugh, knowing that the greed overcame them in the end.

They don’t realize what’s happening. Every now and then, I’ll mess with their heads and offer them really hard choices, knowing that they probably won’t get the money. And if they do, all well and good for them; I still have more money than they do.


I am the banker. The people don’t play the game.

The game plays the people.


Author’s Note: I was at my grandmother’s house a long time ago, flipping slowly through the channels on the TV, when I came across a game show called "Deal or No Deal". The way to play was a bit fuzzy, but what I did gather, was that one player tried to eliminate the low numbers, while trying to keep the high numbers. It’s all based on money. After every round, there is a man hidden behind tinted windows called the banker, who makes the player a deal of hard straight cash. The player must then decide whether he wants to keep the straight out money, or keep playing the game to go for a million dollars. The odds of the person picking the case of the high numbers increases as the game goes on, for the cases are eliminated one by one, and of course, the person usually chose No Deal, and then lost in the next round and went home with nothing. I  realized that it was completely based on people’s greed—and human nature. So I thought of this little contemplation in the viewpoint of an important person.

2 comments:

alex-ness said...

very excellent work I say!

Brynna said...

thanks. :D Just a drabble really.