Saturday, June 6, 2009

RANTastic

I am not much on rants. Normally I give and get back, I take and try to be gracious and realize that other people have views, and most are every bit as right or wrong as my view. But...



I heard some kids in the Gamestop or Gamecrazy where my son was spending his money talking about how a certain game was cheap at only 50 dollars new. I am sorry to be sounding, here, like an old fart, I realize things have changed, and I am no longer young, at 45 years old. But you have to understand something when I grew up we read books. And now you can buy books from when I was growing up for half of their cover price, for a dollar or maybe two. You hear me? Exciting mind warping adventures, sexy heroes and babes, guns, swords, magic...



So, for a dollar or three, let us say $2 you could go and get a kick ass story. Yeah you can splurge, by something more expensive, and it would be good too. But here is the thing, the best fiction, the best books remain good. Meanwhile your fifty damn dollar game is done once you unlock the secret mojo. I am not, actually complaining about any video game. Or for that matter, the cost of such. I am not saying one is better than the other. I am saying, if you are comparing things, my imagination runs much better at $1.50 RE Howard fueled, than Halo Wars or some such thing for fifty damn dollars. And if you want to compare fine, I can read 25 books in three weeks for fifty dollars and you can play your one game. And then my brain will be bigger and yours will be animated.



Really, games are great. I am not so old that I don’t get that. But pick up a classic fantasy or speculative fiction book for cheap. Read the hell out of it, and share it. Check out Halfpricebooks.com or a local used book store. Seriously, reading classic stuff makes you smarter and happier. Or at least smarter.

5 comments:

kurt wilcken said...

Y'know, every time I see that picture of Robert E. Howard, I think he belongs in a Warner gangster movie of the 1930s.

Alan Coil said...

Books?

Man, you are some kind of old hippy, isn't you?

alex-ness said...

He imagined himself a tough guy
so he'd likely appreciate your comments.

I think inside though he was just like me, soft and mushy.

alex-ness said...

Yes Alan, I am old and hippiesque.

Steve Chaput said...

As much as I enjoyed REH & HPL, I don't know how much smarter reading them may have made me. They gave me some thrills and chills, plus thanks to HPL I got a bit more active in fandom, outside comics.

I'll certainly go with the happier part!