Monday, August 3, 2009

Sandman: The Dream Hunters

A year ago starting in September, I ordered the Vertigo Sandman mini-series The Dream Hunters as they appeared in Previews. When the first issue came I put it away somewhere to be safe. When the second issue came I couldn't find where I had put the first issue. After the 4th issue arrived I still couldn't find that first issue. On Free Comic Book Day I went to my local store to see about buying the first issue again, but they didn't have it. They did have the hardback book with illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano. I bought that.

This weekend when I was trying to find something else in our bedroom, I came across the first issue of The Dream Hunters. It had slid behind some other things. So, I read the four issue mini-series. P. Craig Russell's adaptation of the story was beautiful. The whole thing is just magnificent. It was great to read new Sandman. Sometime in the future I'll read the prose version with the illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano, but I was happy to read the mini-series this weekend. A hardback collection of the four issue series is currently available. You can see some sample pages of the series here in this review of the first issue.

Meanwhile, I have P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Coraline just tempting me on the shelf.

2 comments:

alex-ness said...

Makes me want to read it, I love the work of P. Craig Russell.

Alan Coil said...

The artwork is beautiful. I have read it, of course, as it is a Sandman book. I really liked it.

This is a video with P. Craig Russell telling how he added a few extra pages because the ending didn't seem quite right. Very interesting. If I had a link, I'd give it, but I'm sure it can be found.