Saturday, September 24, 2011

Making the Connection




I have a son who is greatly skilled at defeating Role Playing video games. And fortunately, he reads books related, and enjoys a fine imagination to do more than just kill things via video game.



But I've met people who tell me that people who play "D&D" are nerds, without a life. But they play RPGs derived directly from the engines created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson in developing role playing. I don't mind, frankly, being called a nerd. I think it is a label that to some would certainly fit who I am. But I get driven to madness (a short drive, yes I know) by people who mock others for their pursuit of the mind's escape, but have no idea how closely aligned their own is to the one they mock.



So here is my idea. If you play paper and dice and pencil RPGs, share it with someone bright enough to get it. If you play Video games primarily but enjoy the aspect of it that is RPGing, check out a game like Pathfinder, or Dungeons and Dragons or Castles and Crusades. The world is so much bigger than we can perceive. There are ways to make your hobby better, whatever that hobby is.

So make the connection.
Share a book or a game or music or DVD.

No comments: