Monday, June 25, 2012

A brief Commentary regarding 1984 and A Brave New World







I was taken to task via email regarding my article regarding 1984 and A Brave New World.   Particularly the email writer thought that I was hiding a Republican party agenda behind a popular culture article.

Well I disagree but I think you can see for yourself a wide assortment of words that reflect the newspeak I mentioned.


"Collateral damage" is when people die.  Not simply from damage, but from an act of violence, or war in specific.

"Ethnic cleansing" is not a job some cleaning woman can do, it is the murder of a group of people due to their being of one ethnicity and the murderers being of another.

"Police action" is usually a war by any other name.

"Freedom Fighter" might well be called a terrorist, and vice versa depending  upon the side you sit upon.

"Chemical Dependency" means you are addicted to something.

"Enhanced Interrogation" is torture, with a goal of extracting information.

"Correctional facility" is otherwise a prison or jail.

This isn't to say the words don't mean something, just that, we've created a language to avoid saying what something is, rather than, saying what is, unless it is to apply a label to someone who doesn't follow the proper protocol of acceptable culture.



2 comments:

Ted Kilvington said...

A minor quibble:

"Collateral damage" refers to unintentional deaths, such as a bombing a weapons factory (the intended target) and the resulting explosion kills the families living in the factory housing next door. It's still killing, of course.

In general, I believe "1984" is left-wing ideology (collectivism) run amok and "Brave New World" is right-wing ideology (corporate individualism) run amok. And I would argue that today's Republican Party is exactly that contradiction in terms: business corporations are supreme, but otherwise it's everyone for themselves.

alex-ness said...

I think that both dystopic visions are bad, and am not trying to say one is worse.

And I agree about Collateral damage. I was not specific enough there.