Sunday, December 30, 2012

A notorious comic book personality

RICHARD OLNEY passes away.

I understand that it is bad form to speak ill of the recent dead.   So I will leave his death be viewed as what it is, a human passing from the planet.

But in the comic world almost no one over the last 10 years who visited comic book message boards would not have heard or saw or participated in the fights and arguments and debates caused by this man.

I had my own experiences which I will keep to myself, other than to say he caused much frustration in my life, and I've forgiven him for it. 

But here is a fellow owing many people and the small community of comics rose up to be outraged and tried to stop him from screwing and thus owing money to anyone else.   He will be remembered for this, but there are many many many more shysters in comics than Richard Olney, and many are far worse.

The point? 

Well I think comics are too small for most people to care much about, but the creative community in  the comic book world is filled with stories of creators being robbed, with friends betraying one another, and with publishers absolutely screwing over people.

I have signed contracts with four publishers of comics in my life.  Only one fulfilled its obligations, and has been above board and moral.

VIPER COMICS is the only one.
ALL HAIL VIPER COMICS

Support moral companies.
Support creators directly.
Boycott shysters.

And again,
ALL HAIL VIPER COMICS

2 comments:

Ted Kilvington said...

Too bad Ol' Rickney never ran into the Westboro Baptist Church....

alex-ness said...

Perhaps he will find their company in the afterlife.