Friday, January 3, 2014

S'Truth

I heard someone pooping on another person's favorite film.   And, it made me wonder, why bother.   No, I didn't like the film in question, no I didn't think the points were poorly made.   I wondered why it mattered.   Yes reviews are great, they give you an idea of if you would also like what it is.   But, if someone says they love a movie, and you don't, isn't it enough to know that?

Taste is its own beast.

I like movies that you don't.

You like movies that I do not like.

It is the same with music, comics, games, television and more.

So, let us try to speak about things, without crapping upon other people's taste, and more, talk about why we liked or did not like, whatever it was.  This isn't directed at anyone, just a point.  I have cancer, and it sucks, but, it has kind of opened my eyes how we really insist instead of proving, no matter how we write or talk about products that fall entirely into the realm of taste, personal taste.

So just to say, here are some things I like.

Lord Dunsany's fiction moves my soul, and my love of fantasy.  It is rich, lush, thick with detail and beauty.

 H.P. Lovecraft's Mythos of Cthulhu is insanely creative, and deep, and for that reason, affects me.


Robert E. Howard's writing made me live in the world he wrote.

I like all of Jack Kirby's creations but particularly, OMAC and KAMANDI.   He wrote and drew uniquely and it worked well for me.


I love the art of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.


I love the music and lyrics of Billy Corgan and Smashing Pumpkins.


 I love cats, particularly my own, Katya and Sophie.





No comments: