Wednesday, March 12, 2014

ANGEL FALLING : a review

























 From Big City Comics Studio and Zenescope

ANGEL FALLING

Written by: Jeffrey Kaufman
Pencils by: Kevin West
Inks by: Mark McKenna, Bob Wiacek, Jack Purcell and Kevin Yates
Cover by: Jeff Kaufman, Stan Johnson

104 pages, $9.99, ISBN 978-1-939683-22-9

A woman is half nude and awakens in a dumpster, without memories or who she is, or where she has been.   The world is a scary place and in the process of taking her first look at it and setting foot upon the street, she encounters a number of enemies, and promptly beats the hell out of them.  Enter a young man who then kicks the crap out of the second group of thugs troubling the woman we call will call Angel.  (She has two tattooed wings upon her back.)  The heroic young man gives his shirt so she can stop covering herself with her hands, and gives her strange answers to her questions, and she and he learn they must go to a place where the autistic young man comes from to find her answers to who she is and why she is such an asskicker.   What follows is a bloody maze of questions and answers, blood spilled and bones broken, and the end to the quest.

It took me a long time to read and reread this work, not because it was bad, but rather, because in component form it is all rather good.   The writing creates a setting, solid characters, a problem and solution.  The art is able to express facial emotions and actions, and the color is well done.   But I didn't really enjoy this work.   I think the reason isn't the story, which wasn't bad, but rather, I felt a sense of deja vu, and familiarity with the concept, and whether it was original or borrowed in pieces, I felt the direction of the story was also familiar.   Not exactly a clich√© but close enough.   As such I guessed future path of the actors in the play, and there was less drama as there was seeing if my assumptions proved accurate.

This is not to say the work is bad, because I don't think it is.   As far as hitting me in the taste box, it was slightly wide.  As far as impressing me, I thought the production of it was quite good.   So, there is nothing here that should scare off people who like tough women, mysteries, and odd alliances.  Perhaps I am becoming grumpier as I read comics, and I recognize that this work has value, I guess it was probably not aimed at me, or, if it is a recurring theme, I've recurred that theme too many times.

I'd give this book a B- on an A-F scale, so I do think it might be worth your time.  

No comments: