Monday, March 23, 2015

Every year around this time, I get cabin fever


The best thing to solve cabin fever, is comics.  I have a fever, and the only thing that can solve it, is comics.

So light a nice toasty, safe, fire in the fireplace, heat up some cocoa, get a nice soft blanket, a big comfy chair, and turn off the phone, and lock the door.

It is time to read comics.


I greatly enjoyed Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki.  It was a tale that was good, but familiar in art, somewhat a mix between Moebius and an excellent anime/manga
standard artist.  And the writing brought me in to the story and made me adore the main character. The story follows a similar path of post apocalyptic environmental destruction and the reorganization of society. However, the rebirth of society follows a different path than I expected. A warrior who flies over the crystalized forests after nuclear holocausts and communicates with the new life forms, and understands the new earth.


Slaine the Berserker is truly my eye candy.  Yes, I am not so deep that I buy comics only for the story.  Sometimes the barbarian in me needs to be released, sometimes I like pretty pictures.  Sometimes I like both.  In this case, the Simon Bisley art and violence of the comic rocked my world.


One aspect I never understood about Thor was why he spoke in ridiculous Olde English when he was Norse.  I was therefore AMAZED by the awesome raison d'etre, Thor discovers a lost village of wayward Vikings.  The story evolves into Thor versus Zombie Vikings and the Viking village is brought into the present.  It rocks beyond any other Thor I've read.


If you hate reboots of old characters into the present with new motives and you hate political motives placed upon previously non-politically motivated characters, you'll hate this.  Garth Ennis takes a character who had been an all American hero, taking down bastards who needed taking down.  He adds a brilliant backstory and new story of why and who and where for this character, and I was enthralled for hours.  Yes I read and reread it.


Jamie Delano and John Higgins tell a beautiful, raw, brutal story of six chapters, about the primacy of human lust, desire and interconnectivity. The story shows in mythological format, in luscious prose, and glorious color art, the epic circle that gender is.

No comments: