Sunday, May 7, 2017

A Nausicaa Gallery

Hiyao Miyazaki, is quite famous for Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, The Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, and Spirited Away, and called by critics as lofty as Roger Ebert, to be the 20th Century's finest Animator.  And I like all of those works.

But my favorite is the one that stole my heart.  At first I thought, hey this dude is ripping off Moebius.  I love Moebius, but, when reading that they were close admirers of the other, I said, well flattery is kindness.  Then the story of a Princess who is more fascinated by nature, and flight, and kindness, than being a political leader.  Much less, a warrior leader.

Princess Nausicaa flew about the land, becoming aware of the horrible devastation by past wars.  She was moral, kind, gentle, and, a warrior.

I don't plan to do many of these galleries, but if you haven't read this manga, do so. You probably will love it.  Or not, and then write me hate mail.









No comments: