Wednesday, September 20, 2017

A brief look at my life in comics

I was asked how I got into the comic book industry, and what comic books I've written.  Most people do not realize I've done both journalistic work in the world of comics, and creative.  I've been an idiot, made mistakes, done weak interviews, meaningless reviews, and, I've grown and done great interviews and the same sort of reviews.  As a person who gets violently ill reading the words of asshole comic book reviewers and even worse interviews, my goal was always to be a person to encourage readers to seek out this work, or read or enjoy this creative person's work.  The never satisfied, always angry, never allowing one's self to enjoy something journalists miss the point.  It is as if you go to a comic book store on Free Comic day, which should be a celebration, and every staff member there are unhappy, unhelpful, and make the day something closer to unpleasant.


Comics are fun.  They can be serious or not.  They can be good in the serious, they can be bad, the same goes for the comics that are simply meant to be fun or silly.  To me the world of comics is diminished when to be accepted it has to be high art, or ignored as low brow entertainment.   The comic book industry is large enough to be everything.  As a kid I loved all sorts of comics.  There is no reasonable standard for judgment of comics if you have to like the serious and hate the less serious. Talent and time is poured out on both, regardless of your preference.

As a writer, interviewer, reviewer, sometimes  I worked at numerous sites, starting at the retailer's page at Robin Goodfellow, then to Slush Factory and UGO, then in different stints at Popthought my own site, CBR, Comicon the Pulse, The Great Curve Blog, and many more... and now simply at Poplitiko.blogspot.com 

I worked hard, often over 60 hours a week doing interviews and reviews, as well as commentary.  I received review product from a couple dozen companies.  And I tried to feature comics from the whole of the industry.  As such I made contacts across the industry.  Some people in the industry thought I loved everything, which is simply not true, I focused on the good.  Some people in the industry thought I was an asshole, because I didn't want to review their book.  Some hated me for not running their PR but running that of others.  But some people appreciated what I did.  Some spent more time than normal with me, some gave me more than time, I eventually worked with them.

And how I started is a tale I've told elsewhere, but, due to my being a person who tried to support the less powerful publishers as well as the mainstream, I received invitations to pitch ideas at a number of them.  In two cases my pitches were accepted, but the publisher died before them coming to print.  In one case the publisher screwed my partner so I said fuck that.  At one publisher our book was accepted but after a year of waiting we said nuts and released it ourselves.  But, from the first true offer, Viper's invite to have me do a story in Josh Howard Presents Sasquatch, to the small publisher owned by Bob Giadrosich that released my first work A Life of Ravens, I learned a great deal about the world of comics, and publishing.  (A Life of Ravens had many different forms of expression, comics, short prose, poetry, epic poetry, and essay).  The people who assisted me in this creative life span a great many genres, formats and industries, but those who assisted me with advice, interviews, reviews, and creative work, I show to the right.  No amount of thanks from me would be enough.  I am in their debt.


There are more people I've worked with, and they are not from the world of comics, so I have not included them, but I wanted to say, this collection of people is for comics only, and by no means is it complete.  I have done comic work in the below shown works. I still have copies of 3 of them.  If you are interested in them I can be found at  

My Email Address 
Alexanderness63 @gmail.com

Or at my Twitter home 
https://twitter.com/alexnesspoetry

My poetry blog
http://alexnesspoetry.blogspot.com
http://alexnesspoetry.blogspot.com/2007/01/My-Work.html

Or at my Amazon page
https://www.amazon.com/author/alexness


“In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within
me there lay an invincible summer.”  Albert Camus 



No comments: