Sunday, December 23, 2018

Merry Kaiju and a Happy New Year


The 12 Kaiju's of Christmas for me include monsters, guardians, robots, prehistoric beasts and protectors of his people.  These are treasured moments and memories in my life, and I have to say, if you look closely, most of these creatures came about a long time ago.  I am told by my son, who I love, that I am old.  Well perhaps.


But recently, I have great hope.  I've loved movies about the beasts and ideas and genres of my past, but, recently, Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Kong Skull Island give me as much or more joy as those of my childhood.  And while some people hated, or did not like any of these, I am not saying they are fucking greatest movies in the cinematic history of mankind.  Movies by Tim Burton, Akira Kurosawa, Fritz Lang, Ridley Scott, and precious few directors don't just appear out of the blue.  We have to enjoy some movies for what they are, others for what they did with what they were, and enjoy those few gems we have a chance to see. 

Tim Burton once referred to Godzilla Versus King Kong as a cathartic experience, or even, a joyful experience to his sensitivities as a child.  I so agree.

And while it happens that not every movie that gets a series continues to be great, I like the movies I've seen recently and have great vast expectations for the future.


LONG LIVE KAIJU.  ALL HAIL OUR PROTECTORS FROM THE MONSTERS WHO WANT TO DESTROY THE EARTH!


No comments: