Monday, April 1, 2019

INTERVIEW WEEK: FOCUSING ON THE CREATIVE WITH GRANT MIEHM

You might have heard of my friend Grant Miehm.  He is a great artist in the world of comics and general illustration.  He comes from Canada, he loves to bring stories to life, and, I have to say, he is one of my all time favorite humans.  I bless God for letting me have a person in my life so wonderful as Grant.  This week I am focusing on how creators create, and Grant was kind enough to share his thoughts with the answers to my questions.

What made you a creative artist? Were you born to do it, did you find you had talents and worked to find the right outlet?


I was born to it, and worked hard to develop the gifts God gave me.  Finding the right outlets has always been a matter of perseverance and the ongoing search for them.

What is your pattern of creative activity? Do you plan it, sit and work or, does it happen in a fit of activity?

In order to hit a deadline, the work has to be planned.  There can be periods where inspiration strikes, and that can help create a more successful piece.  The ‘fit of activity’ happens after mulling over what I want to do, and getting a solid idea about how I want to approach a given piece.  Then, I quickly set that idea down on paper while trying hard not to overthink it.

Do you listen or watch anything while you work? Do some media give you inspiration, or does it just give you company?

I sometimes have the TV on as background noise so the studio doesn’t feel like a tomb.  I seldom actually watch it.  I’m a nut for internet radio, and listen to that regularly.

How did you move from having a talent, to having a project to actually arriving upon being published? Is it an accident? Did you have a business or creative art business plan?

I went through the paces of studying at art school, graduating, and then putting my portfolio in front of people until I got work.  There are no guarantees of work to be had just by connecting with others, but it wasn’t an accident, either.  Looking for assignments as a freelancer is far too random to ever think that finding work can happen within any finite period.  Building a career happens over a lifetime, not by being ‘discovered’, generally.  Admittedly though, that does happen to people sometimes.

What was your first published work, and how did it make you feel? Do you look on that work now as being hopelessly juvenile or, do you find great pride in it as a work for the time that was good, even if you have now moved far forward?

The first published job was either the work I did on ‘Elementals’ at Comico, or a ‘Codename: Spitfire’ issue I did for Marvel’s ‘New Universe’ titles – I don’t recall which.  It felt like I was working out some old ghosts by finally having the chance to see if I could execute some of the ideas I had about storytelling.  While I find it hard to look at older work, I do chalk it up to experience.  It’s where I was at the time, and I don’t allow anything to qualify it other than that.

What works are you brewing, and what works are in print and on the way soon? Do you have any 
long-range hopes like licensed works of your creative property?

I continue to work very enthusiastically for the Boy Scouts of America.  Best gig in the universe as far as I’m concerned.  A legitimate blessing from God.  I’ve always got other ideas and projects on the ‘back burner’, as they say.  How they’ll play out or when they’ll see the light of day?  Only time will tell.

What would you recommend other people who seek to be creative do to get on the right track?


Keep digging.  Don’t stop.  Be kind, be courteous, and be respectful, but be persistent.  Only you can make your career happen.  Be honest, work honestly, and stay honest.  A career – or a life – full of regret because of taking corrupt shortcuts is worthless.  Being true to yourself and living by your convictions is worth more than gold.

No comments: