Monday, April 15, 2019

Interview week II, Focusing on the Creative Fire with Omaha Perez


I've both interviewed Omaha and met him at SDCC, although I don't remember if that was at 2003 or 2005.  He is a highly talented story teller, being both an artist and writer, and without trying to suggest I have similar talents, because I don't, I would like to say I find his collection of works to be similar to my own, in that, they are different than most anyone else, not conventional, and remain interesting.  He is daring and that is frowned upon by many.  His work Holmes might well have pissed off some Sherlock Holmes fans, whereas with me, I thought it was quite delightfully different.

Thanks for doing the interview.  Tell me and the audience, if you please, about your new work Lost Angeles? 

LOST ANGELES continues the adventures of aging underground Rocker / Stoner / Layabout Boris Drude. Boris’s ambition in life is to get loaded and have a good time. This proves impossible when he becomes embroiled with The Great Beast, his own Doppelganger, and the Reptilian-infested Illuminati. It’s an existential nightmare and comedy rolled into one!

What made you a creative artist? Were you born to do it, did you find you had talents and worked to find the right outlet?

Yeah, I’ve always been artistic. I enjoyed reading, drawing, and writing stories from a very young age. I’m sure a big part of it was growing up as an only child.You have to be able to self-entertain.

What is your pattern of creative activity? Do you plan it, sit and work or, does it happen in a fit of activity?

All of the above! I do a lot of research, pile up notes and inspiration (news items, song lyrics, clever quotes, photos - you name it), and when I’m ready (and have carved out available time) I knock it out pretty quickly!

Do you listen or watch anything while you work? Do some media give you inspiration, or does it just give you company?

I voraciously listen to music when I’m doing graphics work. The new Ian Brown album is probably my favorite so far this year. I also really like Ranking Roger’s final BEAT album, which came out a couple months ago. When I’m writing I prefer silence.

How did you move from having a talent, to having a project to actually arriving upon being published? Is it an accident? Did you have a business or creative art business plan?

I’ve always created my own opportunities. I was never one of those artists drawing Batman or X-Men samples - I always wanted to be able to publish whatever comics I drew. That was always the intent. If I did a short (6 or 8 pager) it was with the intention of placing it in an anthology - or putting one together myself. Whenever I couldn’t find a publisher for a project, I’d self publish!

I have the worst business plan ever! Years ago I noticed that when I actively sought Illustration or Comics work, calling Art Directors or Editors, there was no work to be found. While when I stopped worrying about it and just kept working on my pet projects, work would serendipitously fall in my lap. I guess it’s the anti-business plan - I don’t recommend it for everyone.

What was your first published work, and how did it make you feel? Do you look on that work now as being hopelessly juvenile or, do you find great pride in it as a work for the time that was good, even if you have now moved far forward?

Based on a nightmare, it was a 3 pager I drew and painted near the end of art school. I sent it in to an indie, Millenium Publications, and was thrilled to receive a $300 check - and even more excited to see it in print! I thought, “I’m a Pro now!” It was printed in ASYLUM #3, I think before I graduated in ‘93.  Oh, I can’t even bear to look it now!

What works are you brewing, and what works are in print and on the way soon? Do you have any long-range hopes like licensed works of your creative property?


My LOST ANGELES Graphic Novel launches April 17th, I’m extremely proud of it - my best work yet! SUPER TERRE.R 2 is nearly complete, and I’ve got a couple more in progress. (www.thedrude.com for more info.)

There is a DRUDE screenplay I was asked to write, and I’m working on another one. We’ll see!


What would you recommend other people who seek to be creative do to get on the right track?

Just do it! Don’t wait for “permission,” for somebody to hire you. If you want to create comics prove you can - create an original work and print it up! If you want to make music, record a track or two. Wanna make a movie? Start with a short film. You’ll be creating a track record while building valuable experience. There’s no barrier. You just need to proceed.

No comments: