Monday, June 10, 2019

Thanks Paul A Brief Consideration of the Works of Paul Gulacy

It occasionally occurs to me that the comic book world is great, and horrible.  Artists and writers, inkers, colorists and editors are used for their talents and skills and spat out if it ever seems that one could get those services much cheaper from newer, younger, foreign based talent.  As entertainment forms go, comics are bit pricey in terms of bang for the buck.  And as someone who has no money but from what he sells, I can't afford to buy most comics.  So, before I go further, I can admit that while comics are amazing, or have the potential to be that, there are serious issues to be found.

BUT, I think if you like art in general, stories with dynamic art and detailed writing, stories that you can't find anywhere else of the sort, comics are worth every penny.  I can very honestly say that for me being interested still in comics after 50 plus years, I love them, and think they are great.  One of the aspects I do love about comics is the fact that if you try hard enough, and invest the time, you can contact the creative talents you appreciate, and they tend to be responsive regarding such.

When I learned from Timothy Truman that one of his favorite artists was Paul Gulacy I pretty much plotzed, as along with a number of other great artists he mentioned as his favorites, I'd have had to have said then as now, Gulacy was highly placed on my list of favorites.  I was speaking with Timothy during an interview he suggested that I contact Paul for an interview, and more.  What that suggestion led me to, was much more than contact Paul but rather less than an interview.  That isn't a bad thing, but Paul is different, and while there were always positive interactions, I came to think of Paul as someone who loves to talk, has a vast talent and knowledge of art and comics, but despite all that awesome, it was rather hard to get his answers into typed word form. I absolutely thought and still think that Paul Gulacy was a hoot, a hoot and a half even, he was fun, filled with life stories, and had an outlook that I'd describe as unique, positive, and someone I thought highly of.


Some of that initial bloom faded when I met Paul a short while afterward at SDCC and he had no idea who I was, despite mentioning our conversations.  And then over email for months he repeatedly apologized, profusely telling me he was sorry, and said he was in a fog at the time, due to the loss of a parent to elder health issues.  Having lost my mom to the same things, I understood, and easily forgave any issue.  As a matter of fact, I barely functioned from 2012-2018 from the fog of loss of my own mother, a messed up thyroid following cancer treatment for lymphoma which killed my thyroid, and further meds that didn't work that led to numerous other issues.  I was more fog than awake.  I relay all this to you so that you can know my bias, I am someone who was moved by the work of Paul, I remain so, and I think Paul, however idiosyncratic in outlook, is someone who deserves to be constantly employed, on high selling works.  I like a few artists more than others, and I have to say, I prefer the quality, the consistency, and the professional workmanship of an artist like Paul.


Growing up I tended to like DC more than Marvel, but I loved Master of Kung Fu from Marvel. Over all Paul Gulacy created art for many comic books from many different companies that I loved.  Along with Master of Kung Fu, I loved Sabre and I loved the Batman stories and Catwoman stories he did the art for.  I actually think the last 10 issues of Master of Kung Fu worked upon by Paul was such a powerful story and with that lead up, climax and conclusion, that it will linger in my taste box for excellence, probably for as long as I can remember my name, my wife's name, and the sort.


His women could be very sexy, his men had strength and power, but, they could also be a dancer in body but genius and masculine form in any sort of physical form. As a kid I could recognize the work of three artists, Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, and Paul Gulacy.  As such, even if I am not so much a fan of Adams, as a human or still as an artist, I think those three names are among the greatest of comic book artists. Over time I knew, if he did art for a series,  it would be entirely recognizable as his own, and usually, due to his working partnership over the years with Doug Moench, the stories would sing with his art.  Those few works where Paul did the art but I found the overall story less interesting, in general, I continued to buy, simply for the great Paul Gulacy art.


To me Gulacy presents action dramatically, naturally and he does so in a bold cinematic fashion.  His work is both photo real, and stylistically unique.  While I confess that I think artist Jim Steranko was a heavy initial influence upon the Gulacy's line work and shading initially, his art has transcended his initial style and evolved into work that is both dynamic, and photographic in dimensions.  I think that he is unique in his style, in that most artists in comics try to create a look that they can own, but, he has such a sense of staging, shadows, and the human form, he goes above and beyond what was there from his own DNA and his original influences. Paul utilizes his talent and flashes his skills when he combines action that looks and feels real, with characters who reflect a sense of natural placement on the page.  His characters never looked out of place, out of sync with the events on the page. I know some art school professors who have MFA degrees told me that while they didn't dig the characters or story, Master of Kung Fu had action and story telling that was better than any modern movie.  I am aware there are people who denigrate Paul's art as having a look too similar to various kung fu movies, perhaps Bruce Lee films above all.  Well, I think that is a load of shit.  His talent is great, but his skills as an older artist demonstrates an eye that has improved.  Some artists lose their ability just naturally create, some let their skills fade. But what Paul has is an especially powerful still great talent, along with skills that still show action, in the sequential break downs of that action along with that nuanced and solid pacing is beyond comparison with other artists. When you add to the list of skills, his ability to show and use of emotion in the face of his characters some of the best I've ever seen.

Some people will always take shots at you.  But, in the world of comics, there are so many different voices with different views, being unabashedly a fan of someone leads to people saying things like, He provided that artist with an online blow job, or he is kissing that artist's ass, or he is sticking his head up the ass of the particular talent.  I am not here to tell you anything in exchange for anything. Gulacy's art has been one of my very favorite things about comics, and I'd love to see a lot more of it.  And I don't know why that isn't happening. Feel free to shit on me for loving art and stories.  And feel free to think I am a sycophant, but I would be happy to say who I like, even if it makes you grumpy.   I don't write to get applause, I do so to express an opinion.  Since I love comics, and have been for 40 years fucking happy with the works of Master of Kung Fu and numerous later entries, I think I have that right.  Thanks Paul, your work moves me, you deserve more great books, and I appreciate all you did to make up for what was, in reality, a very small thing.  You are a gentleman, in an industry that has some, but not many.

No comments: