Sunday, September 19, 2021

An Unnecessary Defense of the Genre of Weird Fiction

THE APPROACHING STORM

Recently I was told that by my announcing that I'd been vaxxed I was virtue signaling. Now, that had zero to do with it, as frankly I think vaccines are a personal choice, and I chose it. And, lest you think that is a lie, please know that I had to be vaxxed for future surgery possibilities. Even as it was done, by the time I had my surgery it had been postponed, canceled and then changed to a procedure less demanding of staff, and less requiring of services. Had I not be vaxxed I could not get the surgery I needed, and wouldn't have endured if made to wait until the present. I don't suggest or argue that I should lauded for my choice.  I mentioned it because I had been injured first in January 2020. I went a very long time without normal sleep, I was dying in many real meanings of the word, and when I got surgery number one, in November 2020, I had dangerous issues needing repair.  The second surgery, in late June 2021 almost didn't happen at all.  I am grateful to have the opportunity. I still have massive pain, and very little sleep. So if you think I am announcing my political stripe with announcing I'd been vaxxed, well, then, please blow it out your ass.

UPON WEIRD FICTION
 

Via email I was asked yesterday "What is "Weird Fiction"? You talk about it as if everyone should also know what it is, but I don't, so tell me, what is it?" The modern state of thought I experience daily would be to suggest that I should have pointed out to that email sender that they seem apparently unable to google such a thing. I didn't do that.  If someone asks honestly when they might otherwise look it up suggests that they want my definition of it, or perhaps that they looked it up and couldn't find it.  I told the email writer about the various qualities and traits of a story written in the genre of Weird Fiction. They seemed confused. They then asked, so you are saying this genre has elements of Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror? I said, yes, Weird Fiction is a form of Speculative Fiction that embraces many genres, but more too.

Weird Fiction is a subject matter or approach, but it is found in prose, poetry, in sculpture and more. Essentially, it is more than a genre, but one that has no walls and sentry guards to keep out the pariahs and outcasts who demand legalistic and definitive obedience to genre. Also most of the participants in creation of stories in the genre also do not solely write in prose. And in addition to the kind of genre, and typical forms of expression, Weird Fiction has more areas of variance with the typical sorts of stories found in modern stories. Weird Fiction does have recognized and knowable elements, having wild and/or weird settings, common character archetypes or the personal individual character journeys, if recognizable, I believe that the point of the story telling is to surprise, reinterpret, create new foundations that will be the engine to drive stories far afield of known stories and ideas.

There is also the possibility that what lays at the core of the genre, which is a sub-genre of Speculative Fiction, (which is a sub-genre of Fiction), could be recognized for being work that is deeply dark, anti-romantic, and whatever happens within the story, the result can be one that drives one mad, or somewhat worse, that the results are fatal. Like a shadow on the wall moving independently of the body it is formed by, one can be unsettled, or fearful from their viewing or experiencing the shadow. Or worse, the embrace and touch of the tentacled maw of Cthulhu, a massive, immutably powerful and vile, growing near, and ever more near leads the reader to a visceral feeling of chills or dread.

Now, having said all that, I understand that Weird Fiction might not be your cup of tea. It is, though, perhaps obviously, my cup of tea. That RE Howard, HP Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsany were all talented poets along with being writers of prose is not why I like the works they've done. In each case I came into their work due to the prose they wrote, in the Weird Fiction genre, first. I confess, though, that I like that they did so, because as a poet I appreciate the struggle to express in whatever form and be accepted for that.  I am not suggesting I am talented, nor popular, but the moment you tell people you have had a book or books published, they are typically excited, until learning that you are a poet and the books are filled with poetry.  I had support of some wonderful people on my writer journey.  More than a few said, why not just focus on prose so you can become well known or do work in comics since you love the medium. I've never thought of what I do as being aimed at financial remuneration or critical success.  Maybe I should, but I don't.

I've also been told, people just need to find your work to appreciate your outlook. Perhaps that is true. I've found that it requires the reader to accept different ideas and formats, different genres and outlooks to accept poetry, or a poet's prose, or even, in general, writing comics for any audience. While I know Alan Moore doesn't have to apologize for writing comics, at least half of the people who find out I've written comic books, will ask if they are meant for children or why aren't they aimed at the audience of G or PG rated readers.  I am not complaining, but it is distinctly difficult to get people who think comics are crap and aimed at the children audience, to take your work seriously. I just look at comics and poetry and prose as different veins of the same system.  If I do see it as that, if I am not alone, I am certainly unusual in the eyes of most readers/people by doing so.

Some great quotes from some fine writers of Weird Fiction.


PLEASE BUY MY STUFF


As a result of not having conventions working for me, as well as world issues, I'll be selling more from home.  Not only am I trying to sell my own works, but those I've read once and need to sell If you are interested in my books, poetry, prose or comics, write me@ AlexanderNess63@Gmail.Com and have a subject line of sales offers and books. I have a list of all of my credited published works at this link. Perhaps don't assume all books are print, but many are. I only send to US addresses, due to past issues with Canada post and the horrific costs of mailing to the EU and the UK, or elsewhere.

About Getting Reviews from Me

First off, I can be found on FacebookTwitter or through email at Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

MY LINKS:
My Poetry Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
My Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html
My Amazon Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Lovecraft Styled Horror CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com
Atlantis and other Lost Worlds 
AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com


I have an email list for my poetry blog, AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com  If you are interested please send me an email asking to join the list.  I have 3 new poems appearing daily.  When or if I have new books, the first people to know will be on the list, and I offer deals there for new products. Send an email toAlexanderness63@gmail.com to join the list.  I promise never to sell the list or share it.


No comments: