Saturday, April 15, 2023

ALAN DEAN FOSTER

ADF
By Alex Ness
April 18, 2023

I really enjoyed his work, so when I was 19 I sent him a letter telling him how his writing gave life to my own imagination and that he was able to escape the miserable things going on in my life at the time through his writing.  May 1983 I received a post card, responding to points I made, and telling me to keep plugging away. He was my first Interview subject in 2002 on Robingoodfellow.net

And he has been a mentor through out my writing life. But when he heard I had lymphoma he said find the best doctor you can, that stuff can move quickly, almost prophetically, it did. I might have stage four lymphoma at his point.  He also suggested I could be saved going to the Mayo Clinic.  And that is where I am going.

All through out our days of correspondence it was a joyful experience and I learned a great deal from him. Sadly the doctors didn't start treatment for 3rd or 4th stage lymphoma, so I am now at the Mayo.  We'll see how it goes.

But I am writing this because I think ADF is one of my favorites for obvious reasons, but he writes for all readers, it is always interesting, and he has writen in most every genre.  I hope to do so as well. He is also the kindest person I've met in the genre of Science Fiction, and his words gave me hope throughout this miserable time.

I honestly cannot thank him enough.


Visit his website

No comments: