Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Mike Baron, writer of comics and books!

I am Blessed to Know Him

By Alex Ness
April 12, 2023

I have always enjoyed the works of Mike Baron. He was from Wisconsin so had references and settings that included the state I grew up in. That was fun, but that was by no means the most important aspect of why I liked his work. I enjoyed his humor. I enjoyed how he wrote with action and with intellect. I thought his concept of story progression and evolution of characters to be better than most others writers. And I found out that he was both active in the martial arts, and in cases of action sequences he'd send a rough drawing of what he wanted drawn to his artist. 

I loved his creations Badger and Nexus. When he wrote characters he didn't himself create, there was a difference, not of quality, but of how the book felt and read. The difference came in how comfortable the writing seemed. I think the reason I enjoyed Badger and Nexus so much came from his proprietary and personal perspective of their setting, of their purpose and reason to be. The Flash and the Punisher, and the Deadman were wonderfully done, with high concepts, interesting slices of reality interjected into each story, while previous writers of the characters seemed to write closer to pure comic book fantasy. That was a reminder that he wrote differently, with a perception of world they lived in, and how he perceived that world would be changed by having such characters present.

How many comic writers actually take the time to read into his story, time to eat, cost of living, bathroom breaks, costume rips, all sorts of reality you rarely see?

My favorite part of Mike's work was probably the blender result of layered humor, nuanced reality, a solid setting, and when the action happened, it was logical, realistic and exciting.

Mike has sent me work to read, not necessarily for review. But I did review it. He helped mentor one of my very first works that I wrote 3 times and the artist disappeared and the story was never used. But I truly appreciated his help, his editorial way of teaching, while crushing the immature writer's optimism at the same time as giving that writer the meat to grow upon and become a better writer.

And during this time of cancer, Mike has been supportive, sent me more to read, that I reviewed, and gave me hope at a time when I shouldn't have been able to have any.  He is a kind person, even if he is politically different than you or me.  He isn't a villain like some foolish people have tried to make him.  He is an honest man, who gives his honest opinion, he is a great writer, and he helped me survive in a time when being depressed would have given cancer an even stronger toehold and ability to kill me.

I love Mike, and not in any way save as a brother or as friendship.

Find Mike at Bloody Red Baron

GETTING REVIEWS?

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.


My Creative Blogs:

My 5000 poem Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
 
Cthulhu Alien Horrors CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com

Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.


 

No comments: