Sunday, July 2, 2023

The Next Step

If I do, or If I don't
By Alex Ness
July 3, 2023

(Today is my sainted mother's birthday, gone since 2012. I miss her quite deeply.)

Since February of 2019 I've endured many health issues that have made my work on blogs difficult, and endurance in life hard. I had a broken neck, a septic joint, a broken tailbone, two broken ribs, two frozen shoulders, I went through a two year span of scans and MRIs and x-rays looking for cancer. But as of June 24, I am cancer free, as declared by the MAYO.

I had enormous support from friends, some family, and from the comics industry support from many corners. Lys Fulda was a wonderful aide in getting through it all. Erik Larsen gave me words of fire that kept me afloat. Mike Baron and Bryan Glass kept me positive and sent review items. Mike Grell wrote me emails that honestly, I might have thought would happen, but when they did my heart just melted.  Frank Beddor provided works for review, and kind wishes throughout. Never think by discussing my health I am imploring readers for more. I just want to acknowledge how the people in my life and particularly my working life have helped me.

Will I keep my blog ongoing? Yes, and I want to expand it from popular media reviews and interviews, into popular culture reviews and media. I think we are in a period of the world's forward movement, where we stand to lose everything if we make the wrong decisions. I'm not a born again Christian praying for the end times. I'm a Christian and have been born again, (a non political distinction) more independent than any denomination, and I mourn and sorrow the times that approach. If wars, global warming and famine, degradation of the environment and extinction of species goes on, I think we will end up with a lifeless planet. Politics are not the subject of my blog, and never will be. Who you believe has the answer, what side you fall upon, I think the questions needing answers affect us all. Whatever the answers happen to be.

The Future

I've always been fascinated by architecture, not that I could do it, but the fact of it, the buildings the style all seemed to meld art with purpose, a structure but also with potential for beauty. When I had very little money I sold something that was worth a lot, because the stagnation I felt was great.  I used the money to buy a few architecture books, and will show them here, as a way to express what I felt.  First I bought beginning Architecture, obviously as a starting point. Then a work that featured the art of set designer and illustrator of the look of the movie Batman (1989), Anton Furst. Lastly I bought The Future Metropolis by Hugh Ferriss. All of them had a look that made me understand that there was more towards buildings than function, and more that was beautiful than the style and design. All of these books were wonderful, but they did more than educate, but led me to a further appreciation of the movie Metropolis, and a number of other films based upon the future or past, in set works that required enormous creative efforts to produce a single look.


I mention this because there seems to me to be a path creative minds follow, first the color and active works, showing movement and possible violence. Then the stark beauty or solemn sorrow found in black and white still life photography.

The turn towards architecture is similar to a philosophy student turning either toward atheism or agnosticism, or towards theology or some other form of religious form. I'm not trying to say anyone should follow such a path, it is just an observation. 

Ultimately, I think most thinkers end up encountering kinds of thought and art that lends one to perceive the world in ways that others have done so. Or they end up finding a path that is based upon a solipsism outlook, where they believe all ideas begin within, and are part of their path alone.

I have no secret source of knowledge here, I am just writing out loud and expressing what looks to be the case. Architecture for me was the marriage of art and steel, the laws of nature, order, and the attempts to defeat entropy. Have we done so? I don't know.

"Les pierres du chantier ne sont en vrac qu’en apparence, s’il est, perdu dans le chantier, un homme, serait-il seul, qui pense cathĂ©drale." "A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral".   ----   Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

GETTING REVIEWS?

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

 
MY BLOGS:

My Creative Blogs:

My Archive:       AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html


5k poem blog     AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com


All images are copyright © their respective owners, use
is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: