Sunday, October 1, 2023

AI, Cyborgs, Space Opera and a great author, Anna Mocikat

An Interview With Anna Mocikat
By Alex Ness
October 2, 2023

This isn't my first interview with Anna.  I was fortunate to interview her back in 2021. And again I am really fortunate that someone like Anna is on my X/Twitter account. She is funny, active, thoughtful, and she has mind that is obviously really intelligent and familiar with the near future fears of (AI) artificial intelligence, technology and the like, as well as the paths humanity will follow or not. With AI being such a touchstone of despair in the creative world, it is a healthy dose of reality speaking to Anna regarding it all.

So herein I present the interview with author Anna Mocikat...

We live in a world where the fear of AI is currently causing a strike in creative industries. There are manufacturing industries completely taken over by AI machines creating more machines or products. Is AI something to worry over, and if so, why?

It's absolutely something to worry about. I've been researching and talking about the subject for more than a decade. It was very clear to me what was coming and yet even I was surprised by the outright explosion in the AI development.

I think that ultimately AI and robots will eliminate most of the jobs and it'll affect every branch. Some people compare it to the implementation of computers and claim those didn't destroy jobs either, others claim AI is just a tool. It is not.

The language models and other AIs evolve incredibly fast. While they still need human input, they'll learn and become better very quickly and need less and less human involvement. We're talking about machines capable of learning, they're not quite "intelligent" in the common sense yet but it's only a matter of time. Now if we combine such AI with robotic bodies, we might have a huge problem. And I'm not talking about Terminator. I'm talking about nurses losing their jobs because robots like Sophia are much cheaper.

Since your books feature enhanced or fully robotic beings who interact with humans, and pose a threat to safety or ability to affect humans, are you creating a meta story that is a morality play of sorts about AI?

In a way yes. But as an author of dystopian/cyberpunk stories I hate nothing more than if something I describe in my books becomes a reality.

The world is currently dealing with Climate change, sadly ignored during its developmental period when humanity could have prepared for the impact. Could AI, in fact, develop ways to slow or stop the consequences of Climate Change? Do computers and artificial intelligence actually possess the means to overcome problems that humans cannot perceive or understand?

I doubt that but I'll be happy to be proven wrong ha ha...

Getting away from AI for now, well kind of, your vision of the future is both dark and hopeful at once. I find that to be quite an accomplishment, as, usually, in literature or entertainment, the dystopia or utopia doesn't dare stray from the expected, but in your works, there is no fate, only destiny to fulfill. As an author of possibly dark works, was that your intent?

Absolutely. In my opinion, the world isn't just black and white, it's grey. It always was and always will be.

Humanity went through some horrible times in history. Our ancestors fought wars that the young generations can't even imagine. Before that, humans had to deal with pestilence and other horrible diseases that killed millions; pencilin has been barely around for a hundred years yet. Before that, you could die of a paper cut. Painting the future completely black and bleak is as unrealistic as painting a utopia where people hold hands and sing Kumbayah.

It'll always be a middle ground. And even in a dystopian future humans still will remain humans, with the same fears, hopes and feelings as now.

Another thing people love to forget about is that despite the problems we're facing, individually and as a whole, for the majority of the world population life is better now than it has ever been in history.



Space Punks is your current work out, and features a world, 100 years after a devastating war, where AI has been defeated. Along with the story of the book is there an implication that it won't be possible to fashion a new way of creating smart machines, or will the use of such always lead to Hell?

We all know (and love) Terminator and other stories like that. I wanted to do something different. Space Punks is set one hundred years after humanity's victory in a war against AI, not so much different than the Terminator scenario, but on a much bigger scale as it involved all human colonies in space. So, now a hundred years later when the story is set, any kind of artificial intelligence is banned. This means that humans can only use relatively basic computers, which makes space travel very complicated but also requires humans to do all the jobs formerly done by machines.

In my opinion, it's absolutely inevitable that AI and robots will become a normality in a not-so-distant future. It'll happen in our lifetime. We will be as used to it as we are used to seeing cars now. So, as a Sci-fi author, I dislike reading stories set in space or in a super advanced future where there's no AI. It's simply not realistic in my opinion. When creating a futuristic society without AI and robots, authors need also to create a reason why there is no AI. Similarly, if you write about a society without cars, then you should find a reason why there are no cars.

And will the creation of AI inevitably lead to hell? I don't know. But I think it might be worth it to listen to very smart people such as Stephen Hawking, who was warning about the Singularity.

What is the thumbnail sketch of Space Punks? Is it still cyberpunk, is it still about the interaction of tech and humanity?


Space Punks is cyberpunk but it's also a space opera. It combines elements of both genres. There are spaceship battles, human colonies in space and a high-stakes story arc, but there are also cyborgs, mechs and AI...that's simply my jam

I enjoy the personae you show as a creative while X/Twitter, but does that lead to various unwelcome fan intrusions? Does a beautiful woman playing a role as a character from her work, or who looks like one, risk engaging stalkers or unhealthy minds? Does beauty create more sales?

First of all, thank you for calling me beautiful! I feel flattered.

I cosplay characters from my books because my fans enjoy that. And I enjoy making my fans happy.

It's a handicap being a female author in a male-dominated genre. Sci-fi in general is very male-dominated and cyberpunk in particular. While most female authors hide behind male or gender-neutral pen names for more sales and easier success, I decided to go in the opposite direction. There's no reason why women couldn't write science fiction and be sexy. Meanwhile, I've become a brand. I still would probably sell more books under a male pen name but cosplaying cyborgs is so much fun!

The downside is, that of course, I'm a target not only to stalkers (happens more often than people can imagine) and overall creeps but to those who'll point out the smallest discrepancy in my books to prove that women can't write science fiction. And I love to prove them wrong.

Interested readers can find Anna online at:

www.annamocikat.com
www.twitter.com/anna_mocikat

www.facebook.com/amocikat
www.instagram.com/annamocikat

The Amazon Listing for Anna Mocikat

(all images are © respective owners and use is not meant to assert any ownership, only fair use.)

No comments: