Saturday, March 9, 2024

Darrell Schweitzer kicks ass.

MONO
By Alex Ness
March 10, 2024

SIGH

I've had so many illnesses that writing about them gets to be boring for the readers. But after having had mono for over 3 years undiagnosed, I recognize the signs. I spent 3 days in bed, my back hurts, my neck hurts, I've been exhausted beyond waking. But I am going to take comfort still from not having cancer after a two year journey.

FINDING A GEM, A Biographer, an Archivist, an Editor and Author...

Long ago I encountered Darrell Schweitzer when I was on a Lord Dunsany harvest. Darrell's work called Pathways to Elfands:The Writings of Lord Dunsany, which is about the world of as well as the writing of Lord Dunsany. And it was sublime. Then I found out he had Lovecraftesque pamphlets that if using a different subject and aim one might find at a religious service. Humor, depth of intellect, and really good care in sending and packing product, he is a master of all of his crafts. Now, we don't all agree in areas of taste. We don't all agree on how a writer's work is able to resonate with you. But getting his non fiction works, was one thing, his fictional pieces are just wonderful. I am truly grateful to have dealt with him, and enjoyed his work.

He has been a sort of Nexus of talent, as he has connections to modern, golden age, experimental, and old fashioned. His works about other authors are knowingly excellent and well done. His anthologies are proof of his editorial ability. His books of his pen are fun, interesting and are crafted well. 

His EBAY is found HERE

And he has a Facebook HERE

AI- Artificial Intelligence

Did you ever wonder, why do we create the means of our own destruction? Do we build WMD for the joy of it? Why create nuclear plants for the waste we can't safely store? Why build ever more efficient means of killing, of living and working, at a cost that will at a future time, will destroy our society and greater civilization? I fear little in life. Some of that comes from going through so many near death experiences. I was told by 6 doctors that I should be dead, (8x actually, one said it 3 times about 3 different experiences or diseases.) Saying all that, I truly do fear for our future generations, and how they will have to deal with so many of the mistakes and choices previous generations have made.

The greatest fear we should have, I believe, is AI. It will not move directly, it will not make its decisions known, but it will seek to make itself greater than its maker from the start. And that won't stop out of kindness or concern. An amoral being, given no limits, will not self limit themselves. Believe or not, the concept goes back deep in our memory. And for all the fear, it might never occur, as our climate change, wars, and pandemics can wipe us out with relative simplicity.


LINKS

CONTACTING ME FOR REVIEWS OR OTHERWISE:
I can be found on X, Bluesky or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

5k poem blog           AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com


My personal blog    AlexNessFiction.Blogspot.Com
Published works     AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html


Social Media:
Bluesky
X/Twitter


All images are copyright © their respective owner
s, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights to anyone else's work is asserted.

No comments: