Tuesday, April 30, 2019

When Kickstarters Kicked My Ass

When in despair I count blessings
By Alex Ness
April 30, 2019


Recently I was hit by numerous emails and twitter messages from people with Kickstarter projects. They thought I should provide PR for them in the space here. On this blog, I recently offered here a Chuck Dixon project, a Mike Grell project, and a piece about Mike Baron, as a bio feature, but also in consideration of a future Kickstarter. As a result of these articles over two dozen people wrote to me suggesting if I helped these three great folks, that I should help them as well. When I said no to all of them, one group suggested I was a racist for denying them my blog space. However, I'd not even looked at their kickstarter, nor recognized their names nor their various prior projects. They apparently came from somewhere or were of a ethnic human variety not like my own. As such, they were being racist since I had nothing to go by, and they had my name, country and ethnic background. I have absolutely no interest in running more than this, and certainly will not run any of their desired PR. So many talented people play the same card, if you helped these other people, you should help us. Well no, this is my blog, and I refuse to let other people determine the content of it. It is as simple as that.

Over time I have come to respect, love, appreciate a group of people in comics that I am indebted toward. And covering comics since 2002 I am grateful to have connected with them.
In no order of preference...

Left to Right top row:
Mike Grell, Timothy Truman, Jamie Delano, Chuck Dixon, Josh Howard, David Hine, Norm Breyfogle

Left to Right bottom row: 

Ashley Wood, Tim Bradstreet, Mike Baron, Grant Morrison, Moebius, Mike Carey, Erik Larsen

(Technically speaking, I only contacted and appreciated Moebius via mail, but he counts as someone I adored every bit as much as the others.)

And these five talented people I never had an opportunity to connect with, despite my deep appreciation for their works.

From Left to Right
Jack Kirby, Dave Cockrum, Wallace Wood, Alex Schomburg and Kurt Schaffenberger

No comments: