Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Humor, Weird stuff, Comics, and fun.


8/28/2019
By Alex Ness

HUMOR, COMICS, NOT JUST FOR KIDS

Every time I write an article about comics I get direct responses, not in the comments, people don't seem to leave comments on the articles, but at my public email alexanderness63@gmail.com.  I receive immediate comments and lots of questions from a wide variety of people, from all across the world.  I get invitations to donate money, since I make so much of that, to people, countries, causes.  And of course, I've been asked to send a small amount of money to Nigerian prince... I answer every legitimate email, but, some of the time I think it is worth writing a piece here in response, since other people seem to ask similar questions.  I am aware that it is possible that a person is writing from numerous accounts, but, I also know, you can forward emails and it looks like you sent it or someone has hacked you, so I am not suggesting that I think anyone is doing anything wrong.  There are simply numerous things that happen with electronic communication from all those various sorts of people.

One question that I think more people have than others might acknowledge, is one about comics being funny.  Humor based comics, and the word comic are related, but not all comics are funny, and some that try to be funny aren't really so.  But, the former stereotype of comics from people growing up in the 30s to the 50s, whatever happened to the funny animals, or funny comics.  Everything seems so dark now.  And of course, part of this question is absolutely dead on.  In the past comics were not aimed at adults, but for a general audience, and a younger general audience if the truth be told.  That's all fine for me, I am proud to say I love comics, and I am an old fart.  But when grandparents take their kids to some comic shops, they have heart attacks over the vast amount of maturity and violence and adult themes in many comics.  It is a culture shock, and that some have this happen doesn't mean anyone is wrong.  Things change over time.  Comics are now far more aimed at serious stories, if also fantastical in terms of powers, or plotlines in fantasy worlds.


So what are some funny comics, and not necessarily for kids only? I think Teen Titans Go has a powerful and wonderful animation series to draw from, as well as the more adult work it is derived from, in the works of Marv Wolfman and George Perez.  The quality of the source material was impressive, so, aimed at more fun than seriousness, with a style that kids appreciate, even if there are serious stories, has an edge.  Kids that like the series on Cartoon Network will also love the comic.  That would go for Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack. However fun the stories and animated series, they are also serious enough to draw adults as fans.

I am a person who doesn't usually actually care for Deadpool. Having said that, I am aware that he is meant to be funny, and when done right it can be very funny.  Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan wrote a Deadpool story called Dead Presidents that would be read by my son as we were returning from the comic shop, and we'd have tears in our eyes for the silliness he was reading.  While it is adult, and occasionally low brow, this Deadpool made me laugh, rather hard.  I coughed up a lung I think and that isn't safe when you are driving.

G-Man was a comic that my son loved and would occasionally share with me, various pages, and I have to say, it is really fun for kids, but has a way about the telling of the stories that is genuinely gentle fun.  In one case if my son or I bring it up, we make the sound that was on the page, and both laugh, just remembering it.  I know folks who think it is probably for kids alone, but it is more than that.

Mr. Monster by Michael T. Gilbert frustrated me as I originally tried read it.  I was a college student, and was a serious person, so I read the work as serious and horror.  And it REALLY isn't that, and it isn't even horror but for kids. It is the story of a humorous larger than life hero who is involved with horror settings.  It has layers, and I wouldn't call it mature, but it has humor and stories that go a bit higher than general audience. I think if you go into it thinking it is simple and wholesome, you'll also fail.  It is funny, and dark, but done with a light hand.  As an adult now, versus the oh so serious college student who read it then, I was pleasantly surprised how much better I like it. 

I don't really want to dig into the wonders of abstract, surreal, or the absurd greatness of Flaming Carrot.  I could discuss the themes, or ideas of it, but its a guy who had his brain changed by reading too many comics.  He is a hero, but fights some weird ass villains.  I know people who think it is meant to be some high brow, highly important, post modern art.  If it is, and I suppose that it might be, it is more about poking fun at the anal retentive audience who thinks everything should be cool.  It has a vibe of surreal, crazy, and sardonic.  I love it.  I laugh out loud reading it, and it takes a bit to do that, I have a aversion to being happy sometimes.  I think it is sad that Flaming Carrot isn't in the issues of the 300s and coming out monthly.  It is a book that you either get or you don't, most of my evangelizing of it, sharing copies, never turned out positively.  The few who received copies and enjoyed it, actually loved it. 

The Tick is a fun poke at super heroes, and it has made it to the large screen. It is silly just as a series of that sort should be, and I like it, but, I can't say I love it.  It is fun though, and I think people need to seek out the comics if you enjoyed the television series of it.  The comic is actually better.

After the DC successes of the Dark Knight and The Watchmen and The Killing Joke, most comics that came out in the era were deadly serious.  If a fun comic like Blue Devil or Ambush Bug, both very fun works, made it onto the stands, there were 30 other comics that were really dark, or serious.  Justice League from Keith Giffen, Kevin Maguire and J.M. DeMatteis took the world of now serious heroes, and poked fun at the genre, by showing some real life team chemistry issues, and made a change in how hero stories could be told.  I wouldn't call it light, it was still entertaining, and the enemies of the Justice League were interesting and dangerous, but the team chemistry lead to anger issues,  and some folks just aren't cut out to be in a team.  Angry loners especially, and I can speak from experience on that.  And before moving on, Blue Devil and Ambush Bug are truly funny books.  I recommend all three, with the JL.

Lastly, Reid Flemming the World's Angriest Milkman is seriously funny shit.  I loved every issue, I loved the tone, the silly stuff, and if a guy with a chip on his shoulder is fighting aliens or bad guys while having to deliver milk and other dairy products, I think you should read it.  It is crazy fun.



DIFFERENT WORLDS

One regular writer and reader wondered what a couple of the comics I suggested as being good were, since they seemed familiar, but were really not what he remembered about the characters.  Elseworlds by DC Comics were a way to tell stories that got to the heart of the character in question, but did so using different settings, different situations, and different worlds to show how the hero or villains in question would fit.  Showing the Green Lantern as being a master of magic and Asian, when the original Green Lantern had found a relic of power, a Green flame, that first landed in Asia but wound its path to America, is clever.  Having Batman live in a Gotham city during the era of Jack the Ripper and having the two meet is brilliant.  And perhaps the talent on the book could evoke a past era, with demonic evil, and remind you, especially if the alleys of Gotham being filled with women of ill repute, and slaughtering evil bastards. The Justice Riders is way beyond good, as it takes the Justice League and revisits them as heroes of the American West.  It has a combination of real feeling chemistry, despite the characters being created differently with their powers but feeling completely different in their new alternative past.   I haven't read an Elseworlds that I didn't like, but those stories shown here, are my favorites.

TO DEFEND AND PROTECT:  The Defenders

To some people the Defenders were the equivalent of the 3rd string heroes who were only called upon when no one better was available.  Others saw their reason to be as being an opportunity to read stories featuring characters that were overused, over powered, and boring due to the over saturation of the character's popularity.

The reason I liked them is because the stories I read all had a strain of humor, all featured heroes versus villains who were only rarely used, and I liked the characters that made up the team.  And if you waited long enough, you might even see a character you like who wasn't the most popular find his or her way into the team roster.

The original Defenders run was lovely fun, and it was collected in a number of forms.

The Avengers Defenders War was great, even if it was rather one of those Marvel Comics tropes where heroes fight heroes.  It was done well and lingers in my memory.

The Defenders by Kurt Busiek and Erik Larsen was a book that was aimed at humor, sly writing that was both heroic and a bit off the path, and adventure.  It might have been a direct sequel to the original run of the Defenders, but, I can't remember at this point if that is true, I can't find my copies  to check if that is correct, they are in the boxes in the closet of oblivion... where things go in, but never come out.  Erik Larsen's art added the perfect layers of exaggeration and energy, Busiek and Larsen created a chemistry in stories that made this run a favorite.  But it was not popular among the fan boys.  I think those who skipped on reading it missed the boat.  It was a hoot, and I never thought the book was anything but fun.

JM DeMatteis, Keith Giffen and Kevin Maguire teamed up to tell a story with the Defenders that echoed the fine and funny Justice League work that they had produced for DC.  It strikes many of the same notes, and retains a freshness.


No comments: