Friday, August 21, 2020

Review City: Beginning, Introducing and Stray

Introducing/For Beginners
By various writers and artists
Published by numerous publishers

I've been in academia, briefly, and I made a couple attempts to get the course I taught to feature intelligently written new kinds of media to share with students.  The written word is great, films are great, but comics break ideas down to a level that learning can be had, without it feeling, as it usually does, as being taught by someone in person.  I had no success getting those works into the courses I taught. (For those curious: Intro to Humanities 101, Intro to Political Science, American History after 1876, and European History after the Franco Prussian War). However much that was true, and I was disappointed for that, I did have book reports as part of the curriculum and for those, I was absolutely accepting graphic novels of serious subjects.  Not many people took advantage of those, but, those who did absolutely gained understandings of some rather deep subject matters.

For my part, if someone is looking for a way to perceive a concept, or a basic subject matter, finding one of these books is a good way to begin the journey. As I have a few degrees people have asked me where to go for the best works about _____ and often I'll suggest, if you are wanting to get a quick understanding of a concept, go for these to get it, without getting the slowed down prose didactic instruction that can drag its ass for so long.  The best of the books is Food For Beginner's because it is easily illustrates certain issues that are likely not those considered by the reader before reading the book.  Susan George writes a very quick moving and illustrative account, where the basic themes are clear and concise. Now, of course these aren't about superheroes or vigilantes.  They don't use much fiction to explain what they are aimed upon doing.  But, for a person trying to gain a level of understanding, if not mastery, these are a wonderful source.

What might derail enjoyment of these works or give pause, isn't the quality, or the depth, but the tendency for these works to come from the solid left side of the political equation.  I always think bias is important to note, but once noting it the information remains important to understand, but, I am aware some people think facts and analysis become polluted by bias.  I disagree.  As an instructor and to a slightly lesser extent as a reader, simply, I think it is by far better to know it is there and move around it, if that needs doing, than to perceive no bias, and be persuaded by a work that simply better at integrating the creative artist's bias.



Stray Toasters
By Bill Sienkiewicz
Published by Epic Marvel


Stray Toasters has an imaginative story, using art that is both beautiful and disturbing.  It tells of a violent criminal and the criminal psychologist trying to first understand the crimes, and then presumably, trying to stop the crimes.  However, there is a narrative from a dark force, perhaps a demonic being, the family of a man, who might be the devil, and people who come into their lives. I try to avoid spoilers in the descriptions of considered works, but here what I've written doesn't tell you anything you wouldn't know but, there are people who read the series, back when, and told me, they had no clue what it was about.  So if the little I wrote helps, good.

There is a degree of symbolism found in the series Stray Toasters that might be dangerous to certain minds. With a story told, directly, but with symbols and less than photo representative work, you can interpret such stories less precisely than straight forward works. I've been told that you can't read Stray Toasters like a person reads most comics, that people who love comics might think this is a pretentious work, or just confusing. But I disagree.  However, layers in comics sometimes work against each additional or previous layer.  It is certainly a work that isn't easily dissected.

I thought of this work as deep when I'd first read it.  30 years since, what do I think?  Well I think of it less as deep now, and more as an attempt to be deep. What I confused as being a layer was a more clumsy application of more story.  I understand that some love it, some hate it, it is exactly as people perceive as far as if it is rewarding or not.  I am not saying I think it isn't a good work, just one with less magic and depth as when I first read it.  It might be that I've gotten older and less interested in the story being told, I certainly didn't remember the story when rereading it. And, while I admire the art work, the story telling is less than concise, and less rewarding upon taking a deeper look at it all. I vastly admire the artist's hand, as Bill Sienkiewicz is a great artist, but as a writer he is not as gifted.

If I gave this work a B+ in the past I'd say I'd now give it a B-.  But I avoid grades unless I have to, been there and done that.

ABOUT GETTING REVIEWS FROM ME

First off, I can be found on FacebookTwitter or through email at Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

No comments: