Saturday, June 4, 2022

LIFE'S INTELLECTUAL BANQUET

IMAGINATION FUEL
By Alex Ness
June 5, 2022

EXOTIC OR JUST DIFFERENT?

There is a concept in history that is considered helpful in discerning the truth behind the image or perceptions from the distance of time, or borders of countries and different cultures. It is that when looking at a culture, a person tends to make the commonplace something exotic, to the degree that it clouds the knowledge that can be gained. An example of this, would be when westerners visit a Zen or Buddhist garden or nature areas.  In those areas there are often water clocks that make a sound every few minutes. It becomes possible for a stranger to the site and garden, that they'd think the water clock is making the sound to resound in nature, or for a particularly religious purpose, but I've been told, many of these have been for a far different purpose. Since one of the functions of these gardens is to promote mediation in natural settings, the water clock is not there to add to nature, but to give semi regular sound to wake people should they fall asleep. That is, whatever would make sense to an outsider, might not make sense within the situation, or quite simply, there is an assumption of a role of the technology, that might just be to make noise. A special design might be a set of directions, or it might just look nice.

We tend to see new or different things from a perspective of what is familiar to us already, but if we do that, we lose the opportunity to understand a thing from the soil it grows in. Making aspects of foreign (to us) cultures exotic allows us to perceive them either as special, or worse, weird. If one looks at what is different as an opportunity to learn, or an opportunity to connect, it can allow us far greater depth of connection, and depth of knowledge when going in, without preconceived notions of what should be. I am not, in any way, saying every idea is equal, and that every thought has worth. But in order to know, we must abandon our worries of learning something new and dive deeply into the new. No one grows with learning, no one learns without gaining a new perspective or newly gained knowledge. The difference for some people, is that what they learn they learn solely to apply to a craft or art, to increase a skill or their efficiency.  Other people try to learn as much as they can, about as many fields as they can, to educate themselves for no other reason than to increase the knowledge of their being.

SAMURAI

I am aware that modern Japan is not just an evolved form of the ancient Japan. I am not suggesting every resident of Japan or ethnic Japanese must conform to a set of ideals and values, life goals or desires to a stereotype or archetype born of the past.  But there is power in understanding how the history of Japan still plays a role in everyday life of the Japanese, as well, it has value in explaining what happened in the past, and why things changed the course of history after a certain set of events.

The medieval era of Japan saw the rise of a military rule, but one that was carried out under the legitimacy of the Emperor's house. For approximately 500 years Japan was guided in its development with a mind towards order, class roles, and isolation from the rest of the world. While China and many nations and peoples of Asia were being swallowed up by the colonial goals of the West, Japan stood off, not being compelled to submit, and presenting a dangerous obstacle to complete control of Asia by Western forces.  The reason for that could be found in the relative advantage of fighting invaders from behind your own walls, the native response to invaders being negative, and the fact that, especially after the Mongol invasions failed, Japan had a unity of purpose and image of self that resisted an invader.

I am moved by the samurai of history in Japan.  The reason for it isn't that they are exotic or different, but that they are distinct and unique in world culture.  The difference being, they might be warriors, but their code required their action, and while ti could be perceived to be a moral code, it wasn't exactly.  It was a code of discipline and how to act towards other warriors.  I find it to have depth and interest because it allows a person to pursue a life similarly, with an interest in discipline.


FINDING ATLANTIS

After years of search by archeologists, historians, theorists, and interested others, there have been dozens of sites suggested as being the ancient site of the legendary island or continent of Atlantis. I've read dozens of books and watched numerous documentaries doing the same as those searching. At the same time I have interest in the topic as one of curiosity and desire for answers of historical questions, I  have a desire or need to know, from the perspective of a poet who absorbs cultural information and ideas, and desires an end to a story that has power.  If we learn the truth behind the legend, the information that feeds the myth, we might understand more about our shared past, and perhaps appreciate our true unwritten past of our species.

I've watched as people have offered their versions of what they believe is the true Atlantis.  I think there are two candidates that are best for the information we know. One is at the mouth of a former river delta in Spain, now covered in sand, marsh, and washed out remnants of the past.  It was featured in a documentary featuring Richard Freund. He might have been an opportunist and labeled the site Atlantis. He might be full of baloney. But there is reasonable chance he is also correct, despite his limits as a charitable human.


Image From NASA, taken from the ISS.

The other possible target of Atlantis is a relatively recent discovery and seemingly only recently given an association with Atlantis.  It is the Eye of the Sahara, found in Mauritania.  It can be seen as a physical feature of the earth, that might have been written about as seeming like what was described as Atlantis, or, it was Atlantis.  It bears the same dimensions and geographical aspects written about.  It is the same size.  It is remarkable.  But, it needs further research and proof. 

SOME POETS THAT MOVE ME

I have honestly been asked hundreds of times what are the poets that move me the most. Others ask me who has influenced my work. I think it is reasonable to ask this, but... I do not read most current and living poets. So, immediately, saying this leads people (usually poetry readers) to shriek at me that I am arrogant and unsupportive of other poets, but it isn't about that. I try not to ever absorb the work or style of other poets. My aim is to read poetry that I've been exposed to, and by reading older poets if I absorb ideas or styles, it can be seen as such. I actively avoid interaction with other work that is current for the reason of safety, and my desire to remain true to my own senses. There are many poets better than me, many are more literary, many are better wordsmiths. My aim isn't to disavow their work.  My aim is to stay focused upon my own. The image below collects some of the finest poets of history, and those I have read the most, while collected in groups of four regarding national or ethnic identity.

MANY OF THE ARTISTS WHO MOVE ME

Unlike the poets shown, I'd be grateful to absorb all the talents and ideas of the painter/artists shown below.  Not because I am greedy or like to steel.  I've always had a love for art, and the more powerful the better.  From about age 12 I found modern art to have value and purpose, and found myself different than most, in appreciation, if not skill or born talents.  I have always had the desire to be an artist, but found my talents meager, and wanting. Writing poetry allows me to utilize certain talents, and I love doing so, but to be an artist was my dream.  Those shown are my favorite dead artists.


About Getting Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.



MY LINKS:


My Poetry AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com

Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

Amazon Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess

Cthulhu Horror CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com


All works and art remain the property of the owners/creators and nothing more than fair use is asserted.

No comments: