Saturday, September 17, 2022

BACK ISSUE BARGAINS AND A HUGE SCREENSAVER

BARGAINS IN COMICS
By Alex Ness
September 19, 2022


COMICS COMICS COMICS


Due to having a number of interesting quests over the summer with my son, and having a little money, and going through some miserable health issues, that linger still, I had the opportunity to find numerous deals in the world of comics, and for the first time in a really long time I immediately read what I found, and I really liked what I was reading. The comics shown today cost me a whole ten dollars, and they are worth seeking out. I was spending a dollar or two on a set of comics, or finding great deals in back issue bins, and it was fun, rewarding, and as I have very little money, it was exciting to find these deals. I'll give a brief comment about each set I found and hope that if you are a fan of the subject matter, it will move you to search them out yourself. (Thank you to Hot Comics of Minneapolis/Osseo Rd, Source Comics & Games in Roseville MN, and finally, Steve Brown & Cedar Cliff Collectibles in Eagan MN.) Oh and yes, it is obvious, these sets are not composed of Marvel or DC comics unless they come in a crossover. I enjoy good comics from across the genres and companies, but in a case like this, I do have one series I began reading again, from one of the big two companies, and I'll get into that later in this column. 

(Please click upon images to enlarge.)

TOPPS Comics: X-Files

I have enjoyed the comics of X-Files more than the tv show, but, I suggest that isn't a flaw, I just have never sat down and absorbed the layers of the show. Topps Comics really did itself a favor by creating such a well written and illustrated work that was a fine accompaniment to the show.

NOW COMICS : The Twilight Zone

As with the X-Files, I liked the original Twilight Zone but never much enjoyed the reboots of the series, and I must say, I don't like Harlan Ellison much either who was featured in the beginning of this series.  But my personal flaws and bad taste regarding Ellison aside, this series was a showcase of a good concepts and creative talents acting in accord to create really readable stories.

IMAGE Comics & others SAVAGE DRAGON: Miniseries and one shot crossovers 

I've interviewed Erik Larsen a number of times, and while I sometimes feel like I'm a prophet in the wasteland calling people to notice the works of a great creator, I don't think his talents are appreciated in the ways that are deserving. He is a fine story teller, and if his character Savage Dragon (SD) has flaws those end up as meaningless due to the quality of the character's conception and his world. That quality is such that Larsen allowed others to tell stories featuring SD, without being the overarching master of content. The Dragon Blood and Guts lingered with me, I enjoyed 30 some years ago, or so, but reading it again as an old fart, it resounded even greater. Red Horizon is slightly less enjoyable, but I liked it. Savage Dragon and Hellboy was letter perfect and done by Larsen. I'm not altogether been a fan of the TMNT, but, perhaps oddly, every crossover I've read with them, I've enjoyed. The crossover with SD was truly fun. The Superman and SD crossover Chicago I liked a hell of a lot more than I like the city of Chicago, despite many fine people coming from the metro. Many damn good reads here.


COMICO: The Amazon


Tim Sale did the art and it is every bit as luscious and alive as the Amazon rain forest itself.  This is an early work also of writer Steven T. Seagle and frankly it is better in my opinion than many other works of the time that received higher praise. The Amazon is presented as a vast mystery, with indigenous people and outsiders interacting, to bring the truth of a missing reporter to light.

BLACKTHORNE: Revolving Doors

I liked this work, even as I think it relied upon a gimmick to move the characters from real life into a
fantasy world. The Revolving Doors in the title refers to how the transit from reality, boring work life, through a portal into that distant and unreal place. I confess, it was a $1 shot in the dark, that paid off in spades. I think it deserves to be remembered well, perhaps even being revisited.

MY LINKS:

My Poetry blog with 5000+ poems:  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
My published Work:  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html
An Amazon Author Page: Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Cthulhu Based Horror: CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com
Atlantis & Lost Worlds: AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com
Sales: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com/2022/06/for-sale.html


If interested in purchase of my works, write to me at AlexanderNess63@gmail.com and inquire about the various books I've written. Not all remain in print, in fact, about half are in print still. But I do have author copies to sell, so, please feel free to inquire...

About Getting Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.



ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ARE USED AS FAIR USE AND THERE ARE NO COPYRIGHT CLAIMS and all rights are served to the creatives and/or publishers.

Hey, before you go buy those comics, how about a large background pic/screensaver featuring some wonderful Manga/ Anime properties. Please click upon the image to enlarge it.


No comments: