Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Great Books to share, And Getting FURIOUS

FURIOUS About Comics
By Alex Ness
September 29, 2022

I am starting to write a series of additional articles where I review or consider and offer for your consideration comics and books. It may be regularly appearing, it might be occasional, my schedule is clear but my health is not. So, with possible interruptions, I present the first in many or the first in an irregular series of articles.

CLASSIC COMICS?

Graphic Classics are a wonderful way to give kids and adults who like comics a taste of the great literature of the human past, along with the opportunity to see the stories adapted into sequential visuals and dialogue from the works. Great talents contribute to the artistic adaptations and as a collection of volumes the series covers some wonderful writers, and writers who the present world might have forgotten. I get asked often what comics I'd recommend to parents for their children, and I like these books a great deal. I think the series has had different publishers, but when I was getting most of mine it came from a publisher in Wisconsin, and great fellow Tom Pomplun. In any event, they can be found on comic book webstores and ebay, perhaps on Amazon. I particularly liked the Lovecraft and Poe editions, and they each add to the library of Poe and Lovecraft's work in crisp, well done adaptations.


FURIOUS
By Bryan JL Glass, Victor Santos
Volume 1 published by Dark Horse Comics

I posted about Furious once before, and now I've had a chance to read the first volume. The story features a girl hero, one who is forced to use her powers violently to find redemption in a world of violence. Her world is sensationalist, and she is forced to act in ways that entertains society, despite the supposed outrage towards violent acts and heroes who use such means to find justice. The death of a man demands justice, but what will that lead her to do?

This five issue series contemplates the response to the vigilante's mask, the desire for justice cloaked by others in the language of revenge, and society's role in how heroes are measured.  For those who need another comic to be used to compare for the feel and concept, I'd say there are two comics that Furious reminded me of, in good ways. Powers by Mike Oeming and Brian Bendis and Spider-Man by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko ask the questions of what is a hero, while challenging how society demands a proper hero when violence demands a certain outlook.  Furious, however, is original, and a good read.

The writing evokes the innocence of an earlier age of comics, but has a perspective presented that invokes thoughts of powerful satire versus the coy, glib tongued sensationalist media. The art is very good, certainly able to present the story in ways that express action as well as emotion in the faces of the cast of characters. I was impressed, and the thought of there being a volume two would be a welcome thought.

CLASSIC CAT!

I am not able to write without a certain friend on my desk. She is wonderful company, kind, naughty, affectionate and funny.  Her name is Katya and my son Jonathan took these pics of her while I was at my desk.

MY LINKS:

My Poetry blog with 5000+ poems:  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
My published Work:  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html
An Amazon Author Page: Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Cthulhu Based Horror: CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com
Atlantis & Lost Worlds: AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com
Sales: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com/2022/06/for-sale.html


If interested in purchase of my works, write to me at AlexanderNess63@gmail.com and inquire about the various books I've written. Not all remain in print, in fact, about half are in print still. But I do have author copies to sell, so, please feel free to inquire...

About Getting Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.



ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ARE USED AS FAIR USE AND THERE ARE NO COPYRIGHT CLAIMS and all rights are served to the creatives and/or publishers.

No comments: