Wednesday, October 26, 2022

WHEN MONSTERS RULED MY LIFE

STORIES FROM MY ANCIENT ORIGINS
By Alex Ness
October 27, 2022


Long ago, before VHS or BETA, Cable tv or television for 24 hours a day, I lived.  It was Hell for not seeing the films you wanted to see. One time I was excited to see The Mole People was the Friday night movie, on channel 13. However, it was replaced by Bedtime for Bonzo. Well I made it my bedtime too, screw Bonzo, I wanted monsters, DAMMIT!

In February in 1971 I remember very clearly when I was at Cinema 8, on 8th St. in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. My friend Glenn Gregg had called early on Sunday morning and after church, I'd go over to their home and his mother would take us and drop us off for the matinee. I had read in the local paper it was a kid's show with cartoons, but that turns out to have been on the Saturday. I thought, meh, not great but still Glenn was my bestie, and I would get to see a film instead of staying home. But Sunday's show? IT WAS GODZILLA. Lord it was good. And, in addition to it being good, it remains my favorite Godzilla film, however, I prefer the original name, Godzilla vs. Mothra. It was renamed for us sophisticated Americans, with Godzilla vs. The Thing. Pffft so unnecessary.


I'd seen Godzilla vs. King Kong about two months prior, and I was in awe of the magnificence of movie monsters. Eventually at the same cinema I saw Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster. I read magazines featuring monster movies, and discovered a fighter of monsters, and hungered to watch Ultraman. It took a considerable time before that happened, but I loved it once it happened.

By 1978 there was cable, vcr's and more television choices. My high school friend had visited family in Michigan and he told me about a show where Godzilla was friends with a monster fighter.  Zone Fighter was that man. It was exciting to hear about but not until Youtube and Archive.org was I ever able to watch him fight. It was glorious.

When Netflix announced an Ultraman show, I was happy. So I rewatched the original series, and when it was clear the Netflix version was a direct sequel to the original, I was very happy. By the end of the first episode I actually had tears in my eyes. It was a victory of the highest order. It is indeed, my very favorite TV show.

CEREAL KILLERS

I was recently asked why I am so "against" political correctness. Well.. I'm not, actually.  Various people have reason to not want words used, those with ethnic slurs or those that perpetuate wrongful treatment or racist beliefs. In those areas I am fully aboard.

But other words? What I am against is replacing understood words for false ones that we wished were true, or using  language that is so sanitized it shortly creates new words and language inflation. You can pull words out of usage and know they will immediately be replaced by new ones. What I appreciated about growing up when I did, compared to the present, they didn't act like certain things were taboo that were actually normal for most and understood by even more. They sold cereal aimed at kids, powered by sugar and they'd say get your morning energy from sugar.

Nowdays they act like sugar is a murderer. They used awesome toys as lures to have children get their parents to buy the cereal. And those toys were amazing. No one was hurt by this, and the only problem was people overly worried about stuff that doesn't matter. So, I don't think I am bald, I am scalp enhanced. I am not fat, I am calorically blessed. I am not stupid, I am constantly learning new facts. Aye Carumba. Just enjoy the pic of the many fun cereals I got to eat that will soon be canceled.

Get Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.



MY LINKS:


My Poetry blog with 5000+ poems:  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com

All of my published Work:               AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

An Amazon Author Page:                Amazon.com/author/AlexNess

Cthulhu Based Horror:                    CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds:                  AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com

Support: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com/2022/06/for-sale.html

About Getting Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

All works and art remain the property of the owners/creators and nothing more than fair use is asserted.

No comments: