Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Some Fine IMAGE Bargain Books and a Cthulhu Screensaver

Bargains and Cthulhu Stuff
By Alex Ness
December 14, 2022

The comics shown are comics I enjoyed and think would hold up in reading in the present. They didn't get the respect and love I thought they would get, and I suggest readers here look them up and find.

STORM DOGS
Hine, Braithwaite, Arreola
Published in 2013


What makes Storm Dogs an exciting book, isn't the action or crime solving, but the setting and how humans interact with native culture, ecology, technology. It is fascinating in the depths of it, at the same time, it feels more real than most other sci fi of the era.  It has a solid story and characters, the writing is very powerful and it is matched in quality by Fred Braithwaite. On a planet at the most extreme reach of humanity, there are a series of violent slayings. To solve the mysterious questions and crimes, a skilled team is required to go beyond logic, going to the lengths of their imagination and abilities to provide answers of who did this and why were the killings done? Great stuff, really great stuff.

PIGTALE
Ovi Nedelcu
Published in 2005

Ovi Nedelcu was a talented artist who told stories in a manner that was both classic in sensitivities and new, or unique. Pigtale is a humorous, fun, lovely story set in Portland, Oregon. PIGTALE features Boston Booth, an amateur private eye who meets Clyde, an intelligent talking pig who is trying to get away from his wolf stepbrother, Taxx. I had read and reviewed it long ago, but sent my copies when done to a woman friend with a 5 year old girl.  My friend reported that her daughter laughed so hard and loved the story so much it was required reading for about 2 months straight. I see the quality here, and for kids I think there are few books that could do the same magic.


MORA
Paul Harmon
Published in 2006

Mora is a work by a very talented artist, who tells a story about a highly talented user of magic in a village and community of witches. It has legendary creatures, dark, delicious myth and adventure. It is both unique in look and tone, while it tells a story that is beautiful, and dark in Gothic tones. I've heard people say it it is closer to pretty pics than a story, but I think they are dead wrong. It doesn't follow a formula. MORA isn't a typical story, but there is nothing wrong with telling a story that is atypical, especially in our world of cookie cutter ideals, expectations, and even our values. I think there are layers here, but they didn't have long to develop, so I'd simply offer, this is a work that is tantalizing for what is on the page, and for the potential we never saw in future volumes. I gave many copies of this away, and most everyone said they loved the work. I think it still offers great worth in my rereading.

BATTLE HYMN
Moore, Haun
Published in 2005


This work visits the concept of superheroes used to fight the Axis powers in the Second World War.  It is well done regarding look and idea, and it offers deeper looks into the use of science to create answers to problems. It escapes the feeling of being propaganda, which Marvel's The Invaders and DC's All Star Squadron somewhat reveled in. The development of characters and concepts are really solid here, and I was deeply impressed with the fact that despite the end of the story changing the world, that it would be interesting to return to that world in more stories, to explore what was presented for our consumption.

About Getting Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

My 5000 poem Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
 
Cthulhu Alien Horrors CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com


My Books and Sets for Sale


My Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

My Amazon Author Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess

Support: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com/2022/06/for-sale.html

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

Lastly, sharing a background image, utilizing the great Cthulhu mythos book covers by three magnificent artists...

Tim White

Michael Whelan
John Jude Palencar


No copyright infringement is intended, and these are only offered as fair use.

Click to enlarge.

No comments: