Wednesday, March 1, 2023

A QUICK GUIDE TO FUN COMICS FEATURING WEREWOLVES

THE WEREWOLF in comics
A Briefing
By Alex Ness
March 3, 2023

A reader who wrote a couple years ago asking for Vampires in comics to find, recently requested that I look into Werewolves and the like in comics. I think there are more than I've named and considered, briefly but these were the ones I liked best. If you're just looking for a list, go to www.comics.org and look up werewolf or wolf man in the search box, and then limit your search by series. I confess, I thought Steve Niles must have done something about werewolves, but other than one shots, I can't find much.

MOONSTONE BOOKS did adaptations into comics of the novels from the RPG WEREWOLF THE APOCALYPSE from WHITE WOLF.  Each was true to the stories they adapted, some better, some worse. But overall, you could get something worthwhile to read, it was a serious and connected work, and felt cohesive as a group, not Jed Whatshisbutt and Bob Whozat doing one book, and an entirely different pairing doing each different book. Joe Gentile did an able job, and it enhanced the game in that it was a visual work adapting the written work, and perhaps the adaptations introduced people to the game. Eddy Newell's Black Furies was illustrated on a higher plane than most comics of the day. Truly moody dark stuff.

BRASS BALL's BUBBA THE REDNECK WEREWOLF comes from an entirely different place than the previous entry.  It is a funny book, but is a satire of redneck America, at the same time as a loving, mostly, look at the Southern culture it is born from. Mitch Hyman is the mad genius of it, and I promise, you probably haven't seen anything like this before. The best art of the various series and editions came from Shawn Surface, but even the least issue, remains funny and never seems to look at itself as better than the reader, or serious or deep, just fun.


MARVEL's WEREWOLF BY NIGHT
came out at a time when the comics code had just allowed those terrible beasts like vampires, werewolves and zombies to return to mainstream comics. So, if there is anything to note especially here, is that unlike comics you read currently with the characters found here, these were all new, unleashed and somewhat more energetic and different than anything Marvel had done recently.  My favorite artist on the various stories was Don Perlin, but Mike Ploog was brilliant, and the ironically named Marv Wolfman, along with Doug Moench were the best of the many writers for all of Marvel's horror books. Gerry Conway and Len Wein did the original work, but many hands took part in the creative process, including Tony Isabella, Roy Thomas and Mike Friedrich... 

About Getting Reviews from Me

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My 5000 poem Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
 
Cthulhu Alien Horrors CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com

My Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

My Amazon Author Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess

Support: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com/2022/06/for-sale.html

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: