Sunday, April 16, 2023

In Praise of Frank Beddor and Nate Barlow

IN THE BEGINNING
By Alex Ness
April 17, 2023


Starting in late 2003, I had written for numerous sites. With one any time anything went wrong, for whatever reason, I'd get no pay. On another the website owner didn't want to know me, just wanted to use my work, so began calling me certain homophobic names when I simply wanted to know who I was dealing with. I wasn't happy at either place, and after two larger now extinct sites reposted my interviews without permission, I knew I had to start my own site.

I didn't know how, and sure didn't have the money to do so. But I knew, I had enough talented friends that as a group effort we could produce content. It happened that a site was built, some liked it, some didn't, that's the way it goes. But I did get a great deal of creator support and built a rapport with the creatives, publishers, and PR guys like Ian Feller, Brian Petkash, and the great Lys Fulda.

We put out almost daily product, I had very little financial supporters, and was building an archive to publish my interviews eventually. I preferred interviewing over reviewing, because what happened was, I got so much stuff to review, I had to figure a way to write 80 hours a week, read thousands of pages, do research of the people and products they created, on a really shitty computer. I made some headway, but usually it came from contacts telling other contacts, hey he is a good interviewer.  Over time I was putting up 4 articles and 1 interview a week, for almost two years. It left me with an archive, later to be hacked and information ruined by the hackers, tech neck, a marriage that was still strong but I was to be blamed for not doing my share. And people who wanted things from me, rarely giving me anything in return. I also did a great deal of ghost writing, and did research work for some authors but due to honor couldn't interview them, despite their request for such.

THE CALL

And then one day, I was on the couch, had just got my first cell phone, and got a call from someone from a number I had no idea where it was from. Usually I'd not answer. I was and still buy my minutes, so if it is a spam call, I don't want to pay for the privilege. But then it tried again. So I answered, it was writer and movie producer Frank Beddor, a Minnesotan and Olympic skier as well.  I had written a review of his comic book work about a character from his Looking Glass Wars series. Hatter M, as drawn by a friend of that time, Ben Templesmith.

We chatted for over a half hour, and I was blown away that he wasn't calling just to make a connection and move on.  We spoke about a ton of things, discussing the works he was doing and wanting to know about my life as a reviewer, interviewer.  It led to a few calls, but a lot of personal emails, interviews, reviews of his books and comics.  I liked his work very much but wondered if the sort of reader at my site was his sort of reader. He just wanted to get the word out. And he bought, more than once, a banner ad that paid for our maintenance for the year. I wrote a poem for his daughter's birth. He bought some of my books. It was amazing to feel noticed by someone who had fame and talents that had been recognized across the country.

And then, my site got hacked, I lost all I'd done, and Frank was moving forward quickly developing his amazing book and graphic novel series. When I wrote to tell him my situation now, with all the cancer and stuff, he was amazing. His books will be described and discussed on my reading list article 3 that was intended as one of my final 3 articles ever, due to the diagnoses I've received. If I live there will be more articles, what the hell do I know?  I do know Frank has been a true friend to my work and to me.

MEETING NATE

I became familiar with a person who worked for Frank, named Nate Barlow. He was interesting too, and kind, but I was introduced to him in a not entirely different manner as Frank. He'd sent me a dvd of his movie made with the famous actor Adam West, Tales from Beyond. I didn't know it had been sent by Nate, but I watched it, and enjoyed it. I thought it was a film made by someone who loved making films, and didn't mistake it for a big budget masterpiece. But it was clear to me, it was made for love, for fun, and it was exactly what I got out of it, an hour or more of fun. I was calling to speak to Frank about a project, and Frank wasn't in, but Nate was, and he thanked me for running the review.  I was happy to do so. But with Nate, there was something else burning inside than with Frank. Frank is driven, talented, handsome, able and direct, but Nate was softer in nature, friendly, but no less talented than Frank. I looked forward to the works Nate would put out, and he has worked on many important and quality projects. I appreciate his presence in my life, and he has always been a supporter of my work.

Both men gave me words and support in my cancer times. And they are both appreciated well beyond my words can say. Frank and Nate, you have been amazing friends and resources to me, and I will never forget that. So thank you.

Find Frank at FrankBeddor.com

Find Nate at NateBarlow.com

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

My 5000 poem Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
 
Cthulhu Alien Horrors CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com

Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: