Thursday, April 6, 2023

Tarot writer, Comic Book Author Rachel Pollack

Author Rachel Pollack passes away at age 77


Author of Doom Patrol, Science Fiction writer, Teacher of Tarot, Instructor of English, Winner of awards within many niches of the Science fiction world and she was transgender.

I have always been a fan of the DOOM PATROL. Unlike some readers, I really enjoyed Rachel Pollack's work on Doom Patrol, I am famously a fan of Grant Morrison/Richard Case's previous run on the same book. Her subjects were all original and amazing, and combined with the art of Ted McKeever which specializes in symbolic rather than photo-real images, the average comic fan's brain would explode... Menstruation, Transgenderism, Kabbalah, Mysticism and more, which were subjects of a comic book about hard luck super heroes. Consider the stereotype of comic fans in the 80s-90s... Many of them possessed male power fantasies and super hero women with large breasts. The Doom Patrol became the opposite of that for many of them.

On the other hand, I loved it.

For a brief time Rachel Pollock and I were friends on social media, and I found her approachable, honest, genuine and interesting. And then whatever profile it was or whatever social media I was on, either deleted me, I deleted myself or I was falsely reported for posts by a scorned woman who demanded I be her only muse and I didn't even want to her to be a friend, acquaintance or someone who knew me.  By the time I was able to return to whichever social media it was, 1/3 of my friends were gone, I couldn't post, so I deleted it.

And then I didn't chat with her again. But I liked her work, thought she was a good writer, and probably, really really bright.  I am saddened by her passing.

Her site

List of her work

No comments: