Wednesday, July 12, 2023

THE STORY TELLERS in comics: Artist/Writers

WRITING AND DOING THE ART
By Alex Ness
July 13, 2023

TO DO IT ALL

Well now that cancer is delayed or denied, I have time to recover, to renew, and write like hell before the next event hits, whatever that might be.

To complete the writer, artist, writer/artist triad, I present here my favorite storytellers.  I will again, as I have with each list, receive messages saying I have bad taste, or I am stupid or what the hell is wrong with me, where is _____.  Well there are a couple big names missing here, but they aren't my favorites for reasons of my own.  Write your own list if it bothers you.

What comprises favorite? Well while I might think they are the best, they might not be. While favorite means I like them, it certainly doesn't preclude their being great. Some here are extra special, and I mention them for a reason. I think Jack Kirby deserves the title Jack King Kirby. Until I saw how great Moebius was I think every male hero had to have gigantic muscles to fight the bad guys. Steve Ditko might not have ever responded nor spoken to me had I written him a letter or called,  his work was truly unique and had a quality that spoke loudly. Mike Grell and Erik Larsen are among those creative people who helped me stay afloat during the cancer crisis and both write and draw amazing things. Some creators here are more outright mentioned for the fact that whether I thought deeply about it, I kept buying their work. Dave Sim was/is my wife's favorite but I can see the method to the creative madness and it is amazing. Tim Truman has kicked ass and taken names for a very long time. I love Astro Boy, Nausicaa and more Japanese works than I show, but I love these in particular. Some gave up writing or drawing in favor of doing work in one area of their talent field.  Well I like their work when it isn't all their own as well.

MY FAVORITES:

THE CREATIVE TALENTS (in no order of preference)

ROW ONE: 
Bill Everett    Dave Sim    Frank Miller    Jim Starlin  
Matt Wagner  Erik Larsen  Paul Harmon  Paul Grist


ROW TWO: 
Moebius     Jack Kirby    Walter Simonson     Steve Ditko 
Mike Grell Ted McKeever   Mark Smylie  Phillipe Druillet


ROW THREE:
Bill Willingham  David Hine  Tim Truman  Hayao Miyazaki  
Scott McCloud  Stan Sakai    Peter Bergting    Osamu Tezuka


WHAT IS NEXT?

Well, you know, maybe I should do my 10 favorite cover artists or my 30 favorite covers by them.  Let me know if you have a different idea.

GETTING REVIEWS?

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.


My Creative Blogs:

5k poem blog     AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com


Published works   AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use
is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: