Sunday, August 13, 2023

Remembering a Friend: Norm Breyfogle

NORM BREYFOGLE
By Alex Ness
August 15, 2023


I was fortunate to become a friend with Norm Breyfogle. He'd allowed me to interview him, but there was far more discussion going on than just that which appeared upon the page. Almost all of the discussions outside of the interview were questions and/or further depth of answers, came from Norm. It was rather exciting to have an interview subject who wanted to know more about me, than I had been in the reverse.  Now, that isn't to say I wasn't interested or excited to interview him, but he seemed more interested in me than I was of him. He was curious, kind, bright and well informed upon many different areas of interest.

He was greatly talented, and famed for his work on Batman, one of the most important characters in the world of American comic books. Although he worked with Steven Grant on First Comics Whisper, Norm was to become one of the most dominant artists of the look of DC's flagship character. Eventually, DC editors thought that Norm dominated the look of Batman, and they wanted to change things up, and modernize the image of their flagship character. So Norm was moved around to fill ins, and ended up working for other publishers, Malibu, Valiant, Markosia and more.


Norm suffered a major stroke in 2014, and passed in 2018. He is someone I miss. When he saw that I'd had some big names on my book A Life of Ravens he wanted to trade stuff for it, I wanted to give him a copy, but we did a trade. He looked at it and said, I don't know why you didn't ask me to be a part of this. I said, so many people had said no, I was a bit gun shy. He said if you do a book 2, let me be on it. His support and kindness were immense. I miss him a great deal.

FINALLY...  I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

5k poem blog         AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com


Published works   AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: