Thursday, September 14, 2023

Reader Q&A, a Movie Series to scare you, Books and TPBs worth a read

APPROACHING HORROR MONTH and More
By Alex Ness
September 15, 2023


Today, I'll be at Crypticon Minneapolis. It is a 3 day event, and begins at 4 pm on Friday the 15th, that is, today. If all turns out, I'll have my first book in years to sell. Find me at the Hot Comics table. My son will be selling some excellent prints too. Check us out.

MUMMY MUMMY I LIKE THE MUMMY

Hammer Films made some amazing films. In particular, the Dracula films, the first Mummy film with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, Dr. Who in film form, and perhaps not as amazing, the three other Mummy films, which were quite fun. I loved the Karloff Universal film The Mummy, and the follow ups with other actors as the mummy. I prepared for my upcoming Halloween month, by watching four Hammer Mummy movies.

THE Q&A


Q1- I've had enough. I don't get why you call yourself a Christian. You don't believe in the principles of the bible, you don't have a denomination, you write dark stuff. You seem to be an anti Christian more than a Christian. I don't even have to mention the recent interview subject.

A1- Please blow all of that out your ass. Christians don't come in cookie cutter shapes, with cookie cutter views, and monolithic ideas. Whatever you believe is your business, but I've spent 55 years expressing my views, and believing in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm a Christian. Who I interview are many interesting people who are involved in the arts. Your comment suggests the orientation of the person (*) has pissed you off.

I'd be willing to guess the most interesting creative activity you enjoy has been procreation, whereas many others create from thin air and inspiration far more interesting and life affirming products and ideas. Sorry if that is too dark for you, it is simply the truth.

Q2- What are you going to do now, with Joe Monks having passed? I ask because I know you spoke about him all the time, and had something of a creative onward forward plan together. I am sorry for your loss, and wonder, are you able to replace what you lost creatively with Joe?

A2- I can honestly tell you, I don't know.  I will complete the works he was on, with me, and I will aim at keeping the momentum moving forward. But I am a bad planner, bad businessman. I don't do well on the phone with people... I am a poet, a blogger, a prose writer, none of those descriptions mean good at business. All of the people on the books are very talented, so maybe I'll find a person to format the books and a publisher interested in our works.

Q3- I am not trying to shit on you. I know you've been through a lot. In fact, I am interested in your updates. But, why don't you do a go fund me, or do a patreon, or even kickstart all your books? You've got to have a clue about how many read your blogs, wouldn't you be able to translate that to your work and efforts and get paid for your labors?

A3- I hate the idea of patreon. If people don't buy my books, I need to accept that loss. I don't need a go fund me, however little money I make, I am fortunate to live with a partner who does make money.  Maybe not bajillions of dollars, but enough to survive. If people want books they can order, if they want to "donate"... I can compile a mystery box for $25 postage paid in the US, you'll get books and stuff and help me out. If you ask for a box with a certain kind of books, I'll work something around that. Or I can work with more funds or less. Whatever works.

INCREDIBLE COMICS TO PURSUE


Give Me Liberty by Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons speaks to a world gone to hell, but, with an unlikely hero fighting, for various reasons, but mostly to find peace for her own life.  But the story goes from a jail like housing project all the way into space and wars over resources.  It isn't a work that a Conservative Republican would adore, but tough shit.

Sanctum
by Xavier Dorison, Christophe Bec and Justin Kelly created a work that combines horror of the deepest oceans, Lovecraft, ancient temples, and liminal spaces. It is mostly excellent. And I've been told there are many follow up graphic novels. But I have very little money, so have not had the opportunity to find them.

The Masterworks Series of Great Comic Book Artists
focuses upon Frank Frazetta and Bernie Wrightson. They are/were great artists, but the series ended too soon. Jeffrey Catherine Jones did art that was classic for comics. Mac Raboy and dozens of other classically great artists could have been featured, and should have been featured. But... for what it was, it was a gem to behold. Great art and wonderful presentation.


STRANGE HISTORY IN SCI FI

Some spoilers but buy these books.  This set of books is about history, and told in ways that change the past, and by that, greatly changes the future. In one book Hitler is an author, and he tells a story similar to the story he himself created as a leader. But the problem comes, when the society says, hey, that seems to be a theory that would work.  In another, the Axis won the world wars. But can they then learn to live with their former allies?  Lastly, the British fight with Napoleon France can only be fully won with magic, and fantasy means of victory.

Norman Spinrad     Philip K. Dick    Susanna Clarke


NO ORDINARY MEMOIRS

Imagine being settled and needing to move at a moment's notice.  Or that your world is physical changed and you have to fight or die, or change or die. A distant colony has outlived its usefulness in the empire of space's theory of function and worth. And one of the planet's numbers decides to stay behind. All of these books offer new looks at long thought understood concepts, the perspective is new and interesting, and the response of the main character or characters, makes the reader more aware of how we look at home, life and worth of our time. Each of these books are worth exploring, they are truly different, and explore the concept of who and what makes life worth living.

Zenna Henderson 
  Elizabeth Moon    Clifford D Simak

 
REVIEWS AND STUFF

FINALLY...  I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

5k poem blog         AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com


Published works   AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html


All images are copyright © their respective owner
s, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: