Tuesday, October 31, 2023

AN INTERVIEW WITH PETER BERGTING, Artist, Writer, Viking

PETER BERGTING

Artist & Writer
 Interview
by Alex Ness

November 1, 2023




“Peter Bergting (born January 23, 1970) is a Swedish author of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Bergting has published six young adult novels and three graphic novels as well as numerous short stories and editorials in Swedish and English. In collaboration with others, Peter is the author and/or co-author of more than 50 books including 20 graphic novels. Peter is published in the US, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Finland, France, Germany, Denmark, and Italy.”



I met Peter in 2007 or so, when I’d reviewed his work the Portent, he reached out to say thanks. I had read the work and saw that it wasn’t typical, it was showing a character move from innocent or ignorant, to becoming far more aware, and willing to fulfill his destiny. The art of the book was amazing, but I saw more in the tale being told. It was truly excellent art, and my goal after that was to let the world know how good it was.

He illustrated one of my first book's chapters, A LIFE OF RAVENS and it was brilliant work. And I am forever grateful for his assistance in my first endeavor.

We both lost track of the other, for whatever reasons, time, different lives, my health issues. Finding him on Facebook allowed us to renew our friendship.



What has been your greatest learning experience as a creative artist?


To not expect a desired outcome based on how much work you put into your work. Success is, for the most part, completely arbitrary. You never know what will be a hit and what won’t.

We are both humans with mostly DNA Viking blood, to what extent has that informed your work?


Well, I should say Scandinavian DNA to whatever extent that exists. The Vikings were a group of people but they were also Scandinavian. I think it has influenced me to the extent that it has made me more interested in history and how various cultures have come to shape the world around them. But for sure, I love the designs and still incorporate much of the aesthetic in my art.



Also regarding DNA, I wonder, since I've written Viking poems and did drawings of the same since earliest memories, do you think there is something like DNA memories, that is, we remember our ancestors through the sharing of their blood?


Not really, I would love it if that was true, though. I think you may be right, but more in spirit than in blood.

Do you make day trips to archeological sites? Or are the tales written by the original Vikings enough to inspire and fuel your work?

I do! There are plenty of sites around where I live. One of my best friends is an archaeologist and we talk about these things. 


Do the present world’s many different crisis situations across the globe influence your process, your stories, your outlook? How so?

Not at all I would say, I try to keep my stories separate from whatever is going. But I guess it’s impossible to escape some of it seeping in.

What is your favorite subject to illustrate, and why?


Oooh… Mist covered highways, that bleak world where anything can exist.

To what extent has AI, computer aided illustration, and other non human hands effect the end result of art in comics today, but beyond today, is the future in the hands of non human intelligence?

This is a topic for another day. We still have to see what will happen with this. I am scared and optimistic but mostly scared to be honest. Right now I don’t see it replacing real artist for comic book work but covers and interior art – for sure, and that is already happening. It will force new and upcoming artist to pursue other areas as they are replaced with authors and others who think they can do basically the same work for free.


I am a great fan of your work, and find your success in Europe and the US to be a great victory for the internet and world wide culture. Would you have still been an artist and writer had you been born and lived 50 years before you had?


I would love to think so, but going back that far, precious few people in my family had the means to pursue a career in art, or even do art on the side. I was blessed to have a mother, father and maternal grandfather who were all talented artist but no one before them even touched a brush or pencil as far as my research has taken me.

This question is for me, my readers may think it self indulgent, but, why do you think poetry is so much more accepted in Europe and Asia than in the US? What kind of culture ignores one of the most time honored ways of translating important events?

But is it? I don’t know. I have a hard time finding poetry I like. Yours I like, and some other writers, but they are precious few. I guess it’s viewed as pretentious. You have to be in a certain mood to really appreciate poetry. And yet, poetry is so close to music and what most would love, reading the lyrics of their favorite songs.



Art is a form of expression for the human experience. How do you see your work's place, in particular, in the world's enjoyment, education, and existence?
 
Not at all, actually. I’m a small fish in a giant pond. If someone has read my work or put a drawing of mine on their wall, then I’m happy. But the more complex answer would be that I want to create, to use whatever time I have here on earth to do stuff that matters, not just scroll through whatever social media platform is the current fave.

Is the reception to your work enormously different in the EU than the US? I've always thought of you as a secret weapon, any work is made better by your presence. Or, is the reception a response from recognition rather than appreciation, that is, an unfamiliar name presents a barrier to digging into the work?



I don’t know, in some groups perhaps, but I do too many things. In Sweden I do graphic novels and children’s books and I think people have a hard time labeling me. In the US I am now a comic book artist, but for years and years I only did art for roleplaying games like Shadowrun and D&D, and was known primarily as someone who worked in that field.

How hard is it to be able to write well in your native tongue, and illustrate epic tales, but be limited by translation, and needing others to edit you in English? Is it a bit frustrating, or does it lead you to aim more at your art skills?
 
I would love to think that I am fluent in English but for sure, it helps to do comics since it’s only dialogue that needs to be translated. English is a much richer language to write in.

Since Life of Ravens came out in 2008 I have written about 7000 poems, and wrote 34 more books. And my prose is just now improving. In that enormous stretch of time, beyond parenting and life in general, how has your artistic life improved, changed, been affected?

Ha, that’s something I don’t like to think about. I see friends who enjoy enormous success but at the cost of not having a family, not having kids. I wouldn’t trade family for anything. Hopefully there’s a middle ground but for the most part, family life and work are completely separated. I worked a hell of a lot more when I was younger, even when the kids were small. My work days are much shorter now, trying to spend more time with my wife and kids (one has left the nest though). Probably six hours, but 20 years ago I would work 12-14 hour days. Looking back at my output in 1994-1995 I was a machine – so many books.

What are some of the upcoming works you can discuss, and do you have any great scheme of something like a master plan of where you hope your artistic and writing talents will take you?  Would you please give me a brief outlook on such?


Right now I’m working Mortal Terror with Chris Golden and Tim Lebbon and LOVING it.



FIND PETER BERGTING

No comments: