Saturday, December 30, 2023

See you in April, and that is no April fool's joke.

I SHALL RETURN

Not an April's fool joke
I am going to be back
By Alex Ness
December 31, 2023


No I'm not going to be writing during my health break or the exalted term "Doctor's ordered Hiatus!" But I will be doing a lot of mentally stimulating and renewal projects, that involve watching or reading, but very little doing. I will also be doing things, reading new materials, pen and ink wash paintings, watching old movies.

Here are some areas I'll be revisiting, the fun parts, that won't leave me feeling like I've lost every ounce of talent due to age, arthritis, health and mental well being.

WHAT I'LL BE READING IN COMIC BOOK FORM

Savage Dragon
Erik Larsen

I tend to read Savage Dragon by each issue, and by doing so I often miss the arcs being new or ending. By reading them in recently bought TPBs, I look forward to a new reading experience. But I am already a fan.

Nausicaa
Hiyao Miyazaki

My wife and son bought me the mega hardcover collection of Nausicaa, and of all the works I want in Hardcover, it'd be this one. I find the heroine Nausicaa to be both brave and kind, gentle and wildly able to do daring things. There isn't better Manga that I've experienced, but it ranks highly as a pure comic book as well. I am, and will always be, a fan of Nausicaa.

Longbow Hunters and Shado
Mike Grell

In my life only one person did for me professionally as much as Mike Grell. I have bought all his collected works, and Green Arrow and Shado are works that move me, and represent Grell well. He can write beyond most writers, and his artist hand and eye rarely experience error.  I love Mike and often call him my hero. He calls me his pain in the ass little brother. And that makes me smile. 

Lore
Ashley Wood and TP Louise

The idea behind the story of Lore is similar in ways to Frank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars, in that the world of faeries and fairy tales is real, but unknown to most people. But there are people on the edge who see each side of that world.  This is a greatly beautiful work that I will return to many times. Ashley Wood and his wife TP Louise created a masterpiece.

Nexus
Mike Baron and Dude Rude

I have explained the concept to people who hear that Nexus is an assassin with special powers. But he is an executioner of serial or mass killers. And with his powers he utilizes a moon, where he offers sanctuary to those in need. He is not a "super hero" in a fashion of current or past heroes, he does what he does because if he does not, his migraine or super headaches will crush him.  He is forced to do what he does, but the cosmos demands it.  A fabulously deeply created concept, with amazing writing accompanied by pretty art.

I'LL BE ENJOYING OPERA, CLASSICAL & STIMULATING MUSICAL WORKS

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I've never felt so moved as when I listen to Mozart, especially his work the Magic Flute and the incomplete but still brilliant Requiem. I'll be listening to much more than that in Hiatus.

Carl Orff

The Carmina Burana has less exalted subject matter as some think, but the music elevates the words to such a peak, it is impossible for me to like it less.

Richard Wagner

He was an anti Semite, but he was far more pro German blood than anything against Jews directly. I still think his work, the Ring and others are beyond reproach, even if in person I might punch him in the nose.

Giacomo Puccini 

The works of Puccini that I love, I love beyond measure, but I don't love all of his works that I've heard. So in this hiatus I am hoping to discover more about his work than I previously experienced. But even with that uneven praise, I love what I love.

 CONTACTING ME FOR REVIEWS OR OTHERWISE

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will try to always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

5k poem blog         AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com


Published works   AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html


Social Media:
Bluesky
X/Twitter


All images are copyright © their respective owner
s, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights to anyone else's work is asserted.

No comments: