EXCELLENT COMICS, BOOKS & DIFFERENT IDEAS
By Alex Ness
September 14, 2026
COMICS
By the fours, this collection of comics presents the works of most of my favorite recent comic book creators. I don't think you necessarily would agree with my taste, but you might find comics with brilliant art and worthy writing of stories.
Sometimes finding the works you like will show that you like a type of work. From photo real, to surreal, from anime influenced to Joe Kubert or Moebius influences. (For the record: Erik Larsen, Mike Grell, Timothy Truman, Paul Gulacy, Brian Haberlin, Peter Bergting, Josh Howard, Paul Harmon, Mark Smylie, Tim Bradstreet, Chris Weston, Mike Oeming, Ashley Wood, Tom Mandrake, Jan Duursema, and Jae Lee).
Someone asked me why I separate the Japanese talents from European or North American talents. But I don't tend to do that. I post a great many works and films by Japanese creatives. Manga is the same kind of work as comic books, or sequentially told stories, and uses the conventions of an art form specific to region and audience. But there are wonderful works in my favorites list. Nausicaa, Crying Freeman, Appleseed and Akira to begin with. I like Ultraman from Viz and much much more.
CAPTAINS IN COMICS
One of the oddities of superhero comics can be found in the use of costume or uniforms, with various heroes choosing the title captain. And think of it, Captain America, we all know and love him, but Admiral America? No. How about Sergeant Britain, nah. Captain has a note of authority while still not stealing honor. Those shown below are culled from Indy sources, and they are all fine to good. But in the modern eye, the concept of heroes in costumes loses some credibility for the fact that if you saw such a hero in reality, you wouldn't likely feel a will to salute. More likely to hold back a giggle.
THE UNPROVEN PAST
I've covered this before but most people think that I am expressing a belief, whereas I am seeking information that might offer a focus upon the past. With so many mysteries that have no answers, I do not necessarily find my questions answered, but I am given information that might have some truth in them.
MY POETRY AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
HERE: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com
MY PUBLISHED WORKS
Social Media
https://bsky.app/profile/alexanderness63.bsky.social
https://x.com/alexnesspoetry
All works shown and/or considered are copyright the respective owners, fair use is the sole means of use asserted.







No comments:
Post a Comment