Sunday, November 7, 2021

November Remembered


Brian Lumley

I've been asked by two fans of Cthulhu Mythos "Why do you like Brian Lumley's Cthulhu works so much?  Don't I know that they detract from the core works of Lovecraft and ignore familiar accepted additions to that Mythos?" The emailers then said "Lumley is as bad as August Derleth." In general terms, beyond any other aspect of the tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, the mythos is a shared universe.  Lovecraft himself approved of and invited others to add to the work he created.  As Lovecraft died a very long time ago, nothing written currently in the universe is being approved of by HP Lovecraft himself.

Brian Lumley's written works in the realm of Cthulhu work as horror, and deftly use the universe as understood by any modern writer in that universe. I think that the two emailers (one email from two cowriters of the email) find most offensive to be how Lumley's characters don't quake in fear, they don't go mad from the concept of a power being from a different galaxy, dimension, solar system. That is, Lovecraft's characters were likely to go insane, drift off and become corrupted or prisoners to serve the beings of such great power.  I disagree with the emailers because the characters of Lumley are born of a author's mind that had served in the military, who had modern views of the world, and didn't believe in the absence of bravery and wisdom in the human form. I love Lovecraft's writing, but I very much like Lumley's different sorts of characterization. 

“Our human race is a colony of ants, Mr. Lawton, inhabiting an anthill at the edge of a limitless chasm called infinity.” Brian Lumley, The Taint and Other Novellas


Lastly, whatever one thinks of August Derleth's writing, it is likely that you are only aware of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos is due to the efforts of of Derleth to keep it in print, and keep those able to do so to write  in that universe.  Derleth's own written work in Cthulhu does lead to debate, as he changed a number of aspects of the world established by Lovecraft and others.  He makes it a Good versus Evil cosmology as influenced by his own religious faith, and rather than powerful alien flesh born creatures, he tweaked the concept to make them a form of deity or a being that has powers  based upon an Earth Wind Fire and Water, and humans see the elemental being's avatar.  In general I think fiction is a theatre of the imagination and not facts. So, if one dislikes his writing, I get it. If someone says, well it violates Lovecraft's rules, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  I don't believe strongly in fictional canon being inviolate.  Did I like his writing? yes, I enjoy it. But I didn't find myself thinking, WOW this is great Cthulhu. What I thought was, this is different and well written.

So, I do like Lumley's work, and I do so much because it is a modern take on a solid shared universe.  His works are imaginative and well written. Derleth wasn't original, but most people, in general, are not.  But he absolutely perceived the genius of the universe of Lovecraft, and was vital in the survival of that literary world.

Godzilla Showa Era

I've spoken on this blog about the health issues I've had. One aspect of my neck having three narrowings, two frozen shoulders, and issues arising from broken bones and spinal cord issues, is having such constant pain that I become deeply depressed. Without going into it more, I have friends, family, pet companions, and acquaintances who keep my mind focused on rising after my fall, or in my case, my many falls.  I have been asked what I've done to keep a positive outlook.  First I don't think my outlook is positive, rather, it is realistic and determined to rise above the mire. And next, I don't think I went out of my way to overcome, since I am considerably overwhelmed by the pain on a constant basis.  What I've done, I think, is develop a survivor's outlook. Mentally though, I have watched some wonderful films, reminding myself why I love what I do.  Some of those films are brilliant, sublime, insightful, others are silly fun.

One area of viewing was found in the humor of the Marx Brothers, Three Stooges, and works that featured members of those comedies in solo action.  I found true healing in the humor, silly and witty.  And I grew to appreciate the people in those teams more, as I watched biographies of them all. As my readers know, I love Godzilla, and the stories of Godzilla as well as Ultraman, were themes and subject areas I used to lift my spirits. There was something truly restorative in watching giant monsters and their foes and allies.  Below is a 15 frame pic featuring one each of scenes from each of the early period of Godzilla, known as the Showa era.


LASTLY:

I have plans to keep writing, without hiatus, but I am uncertain about the health situations I mentioned that I am going through. If they continue and I have to stop regular postings, I'll inform you with a post here.  But I find this blog and my poetry blog are projects that I really enjoy doing.


Getting Reviews from Me

First off, I can be found on FacebookTwitter or through email at Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

MY LINKS:

My Poetry Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
My Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html
My Amazon Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Lovecraft Styled Horror CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com
Atlantis and other Lost Worlds 
AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com  

I appreciate your support.
  All images are copyright their respective owners, and all use here is fair use asserted.

No comments: