Sunday, November 14, 2021

Questions and being Mindful of the Muse

November 15, 2021
By Alex Ness

Email Q&A

I used to receive a lot more email regarding my blog's content and I also used to receive over 100 review items a month. I can live with fewer emails and review items.  I can focus better upon that which is sent. And reviews, well, I try to cover what I am offered, but sometimes I can't find a way to address something. That's not trying to say anything, as you can get a lot of emails or review stuff that is less than awesome, that lack is made up for by the few really good pieces.  I received a few really nice emails asking interesting questions recently, though, while I don't have the answer to everything, or perhaps anything, over time I will try to respond here as I am able.

Q1 How do you determine who is going to be featured in your interview week projects?  I've never really seen such a wide span of content.  I'm also blown away that despite asking 5 or so questions you are able to cover so much ground.  Who is in your next project?

A1 I don't try for the mix of genres and media, it just kind of happens. Since I think most genres and media are equal in worth, that might be why there is such diversity. I think that I might cover more in interviews than I do in reviews and commentary because I can't afford to buy many things. As such if I only reviewed or made comments on what I buy, or what is sent, I might have an article that is thin and limited. That is, I get to ask a lot of questions whereas I don't tend to buy or receive a lot of things. I've two very talented creative people being interviewed right now, but I've somewhat run into a wall due to health and issues regarding that.

Q2 Could you tell us who didn't answer questions that you were hoping for? Why do they not send answers if they said yes to an interview?

A2 I wouldn't post such a list, as it feels indiscreet, and honestly, I'd rather get nothing than answers blown out one's ass. I did at one time have a list of interviews that, despite all parties working hard to make it happen didn't. The most disappointing one was with a big big name author, what we had was about 13k words, but he had asked for final approval of the thing, and since I wouldn't and hadn't asked anything that anyone would find offensive, I felt fine about giving them that right. They said I just don't think it turned out liked I'd hoped. It was about 20 hours of work, and that was more of an issue to me than the final work not being accepted. I still like the creative talent's work and him too. Who wants an interview that was not happily given or shared?  Not me.

Q3 While on twitter I saw a situation where in a promotional tweet of one of your interviews, someone replied and said they didn't know you. You commented how they'd been a douche bag but either you or twitter deleted the comment. What happened that led to that? Who are the bottom five comics people you've ever dealt with?

A3 I allow this question here to deal with it quickly. A person interjected themselves into promotion of an interview, and they'd been, in person, an anus towards me, my work, and even my son. I accept that people can change or have had a bad day. But without an apology by them it isn't going to just fade away. However, I don't think it helps anyone or anything to name names. So that is what happened and all I am going to say. And no, not going to do your requested list either.

Q4 Why do you say everyone you review or interview are a friend? Do you ever review or interview people you dislike or product you dislike?

A4 First off, I don't. However, I do try to connect with what I write about, so since I prefer not to be annoyed or offended I try to find what I like inside of that products four corners. I therefore usually trend positive in what I report. Some products work less well and some people don't interview well, regardless of how bright or talented they might be. So, yes I review some things I like less than most, and I've certainly interviewed non friends. I've done over 450 interviews since the year 2000, and I've done far more reviews than that since then, so it becomes simple math.

Q5 I know you watch football, you've mentioned it on your facebook and elsewhere.  What did you think about Aaron Rodgers not being Vaccinated?

A6 I know that sports is entertainment every bit as much as reality television shows or drama. We try to fool ourselves by asserting anything otherwise. Various teams and leagues make decisions that are in accord with the entertainment aspect of the business even more than is admitted to being true.  The Colin Kaepernick situation was a challenge to the perceived audience of the NFL's political and cultural allegiance. I think you could reasonably argue that that is exactly why Kaepernick chose that method of protest. That the NFL is a sport, though, means that there are mathematical, that is, statistical and factual reasons for some important decisions. Athletes use their bodies and are exposed to violence and danger, by choice yes, but still, the lives and health of athletes are exposed, and they are compensated for their risk and result of their athletic gifts. 

The vaccine mandates are being challenged at some level, as they require mass adherence to a certain standard of health and medical attention. Many people across the country have made their own personal choices, and paid a cost, and various people in the NFL, from coaches down to fans in the stadiums make choices, in the face of a penalty from those who control the sport, or business. And there is also another player in the drama, the government and the rule of law in our sort of society. 

I've been told Aaron Rodgers is popular. He makes a great deal of money. And his popularity is based upon his participation in a sport that has rules. He chose to not be vaccinated, and obfuscated efforts to discern his position on the subject. That is, he made a choice to behave a certain way, and he was exposed for lying about it, and therefore cheating the rules. I don't care if vaccination is right or wrong here, that isn't the issue. He received a paycheck for how he performed, but also, how he conformed his behavior to the rules. And he failed in that.

There are a lot of people who want there to be nuance in how Rodgers is treated. I've heard many saying he must be suspended or forgiven. To me it is clear, if there are rules, he has violated them, he must be punished. We should also acknowledge, that as a society we don't know everything, he has right to not be vaccinated, but if he is to choose his right over obeying the law or rules, he has no right to make money in his profession. Whenever anyone brings up sports stars cheating, there is a cynical attempt to say that the person demanding conformity to the rules doesn't like the player or his team, or that they would be perfectly moral in the same situation. All I'm saying is this, that there are rules, correctly written or not, and he makes a ton of money to participate in a league that has rules. I know what I'd do, don't care if people think that his team is being punished for being too good or any baloney like that.


Q7 What people are on your wish list for future interviews?

A7 Easy one... Billy Corgan, Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott and Tim Burton.

THE DARKNESS MUSE

I've written over 5000 poems in my life, and possibly over 6000 poems. I've lost many during hard- drive crashes, as well as my burn rather than keep nature of record keeping. And someone who was impressed with my prolific writing asked me "What is your muse?".  I've often joked that my muse is beautiful women or desire for fame.  I promise, whatever effect beauty has upon my poetry is not the genesis of my poetry. More truly, no poet in the present becomes a poet seeking fame. Obscurity is more common than even acceptance or appreciation. Most people mock a person who says they are a poet, for a profession. A few years after the first question I was doing a book convention and someone who I respect as an author came to my table, said it all looks impressive.  I said thanks and they said, "Your muse is obviously pain or darkness. Not that you like it, but your work comes from that." And I must say, that was dead center, target hit! 

Over time there have been people who create, and do so from a source that isn't happy or hopeful, however much they try.

William Wetmore Story was a sculptor and poet.  His work was very good, but it came to the notice of others, and was roundly appreciated with his Angel of Grief statue, that was inspired upon the death and burial of his wife.  The image is still used, and strikes awe in those viewing it.

One of my favorite songs, that is also dark, came from the life experiences of a song writer, Rodger Penzabene who experienced the events of the song, and made the lyrics come alive with his sorrow.  The song was put out by the Temptations, on the Motown label.  And before the song was recognized and became a hit, he killed himself.  The pinnacle of his artistic work was from a muse of darkness, betrayal and sorrow.

Masahisa Fukase was inspired, as a photographer, to collect photos he took, of ravens and human isolation as sadness, in response to a divorce between he and his wife.  The photos were recognized immediately for their power, but he was not able to enjoy the rewards of his expression.  He fell down a flight of stairs, was paralyzed, and lived decades in a persistent vegetative state.

I am not herein suggesting that the muse of darkness is a good one to have, or even a bad one to haveOnly that it exists, and maybe if you listen with your heart, or view with your eyes, you'll see that the work isn't dark just for the darkness, but that it is a representation of life from a place that is very honest, and necessary to acknowledge.
 

Getting Reviews from Me

First off, I can be found on FacebookTwitter or through email at Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

MY LINKS:

My Poetry Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
My Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html
My Amazon Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Lovecraft Styled Horror CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com
Atlantis and other Lost Worlds 
AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com  

I appreciate your support.
  All images are copyright their respective owners, and all use here is fair use asserted.

Final note: Please remember, there is no such thing as wild or tame. Every animal in the wild can be your pet, so long as you don't mind the bite marks, claw marks, the bleeding, the loss of limbs, poisoned wounds and instant death.

No comments: