Sunday, January 16, 2022

THE FUTURE & SOME FANTASY THAT IS DIFFERENT

THE FUTURE FOR ME
By Alex Ness
January 17, 2022

INTERVIEW WEEK Thank You's

I appreciate the time and answers given to my recent Interview Project.  I know time is not free, nor is the choice to be part of someone else's website's projects.  So thank you to all who participated.

Mike Baron
Hope Nguyen
Nikki Anderson

Brian Haberlin
Christopher Fly
Michael Norby

THE FUTURE FOR ME

After beginning work on a series of poems to accompany a variety of images and geographical areas for a RPG franchise, a change occurred. But along with that I had spent a great deal of time over the last 2 years writing for various creative projects. I decided that utilizing what I'd created, poems, character sketches, along with notes for more RPG worlds, it would perhaps be possible to create my own work. I also no longer query or offer my services to publishers, magazine or book. I prefer to be less published but hold tightly upon what I have written, than to work for peanuts and have publishers try to control my words beyond any given contract. So I am writing my own book, developing a world of fantasy. There will be maps, I will draw various figures and perhaps paint them, and will create a history, geography, and demographics, along with creating the lore for such a place.

For me in the near future, this will mean very little, as not much will change. If I make progress I plan to both develop my work as a setting, and setting bible for fiction. I'll write short stories and poems featuring the world I am creating. It might be that I utilize a blog to further share the stories I will write about the world. While I had a name for the world, I searched the internet for the names of fantasy worlds, and science fiction worlds. And a small planet or moon in the Star Wars universe has the name I'd, for quite a long time, had settled upon. I refuse to be accused of stealing intellectual properties, so right from the start I had to make a change. That is a small thing to fret over. I'll keep readers here posted as to my progress.

I plan to keep writing here, weekly, but I think that the Interview Week Projects will be less frequent, however much I love them. I enjoy writing commentary and reviews for this site, but the return upon my work regarding Interview Week Projects is growing more difficult to measure and count upon. I will offer more music oriented commentary, and books, than comics or film. I'm not going to stop writing about any of the sort of things I love. I am not a journalist trying to be neutral and suggest no bias, no, I try to present works that I liked, far more than to take a stance of journalistic distance from the subject. There are products I'll speak about due to dislike, but more than anything, I just want the readers here to know, there are tons of great things to experience, so go beyond your own echo chamber. Try something new.

DIFFERENT FANTASY OR DARK FICTION YOU NEED TO READ

The Writing of Martha Wells is of a high quality. I like it but beyond the quality of word, she has an imagination that is different, vast, and worth exploring. Her Books of Raksura are a masterpiece, and are also highly unique in the worlds of science fiction or fantasy. Within the books she creates love stories where there are no cliche or tropes, and feel new. She gives reasons for behavior and acts that entirely feels right. And she tells the story and builds a world without any peers. It can be called fantasy for the nature of the beings explored and who populate her worlds, but more than that, in this work they have abilities far beyond the typical human perspective. If there is combat in the Books of Raksura, it comes from aerial duels or attacks. And it is gracefully told, and thrilling. These were the closest works to Ursula K. LeGuin that I've read and that is a high compliment.


When Game of Thrones the book series started a friend had sent me a copy of the first book, and asked me if I wanted to review it.  I did read it, but, beyond thinking that the writing was rather brilliant, I had a feeling it was going to be a long epic series, and one that might go on for years and years.  I had just had the same experience with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, having had an appreciation for the writing but not normally liking long epic series, for whatever reason, I did not want to enter a new world that had no end in sight. Since that time, I became aware that George RR Martin (the author of the Game of Thrones) had shared great praise of the works of Maurice Druon, as the inspiration for the interaction of nobles and the drama in that.

I read those books, because there was a finite term of limitations, being that they were ended. I don't need magic, I don't need elves and dwarves. Damn right this series was spectacular and it can easily be seen as the inspiration of Martin's world. The Iron King series was started at one point and finished quite a great deal later. It could also be said that the first five books flow like magic and the final two are different, perfectly good, but are not the same creature. It has a basis in medieval Europe and the sharing of power through bloodlines and the malicious violence carried out against brothers and sisters, families who share the same blood, or to keep others out of power. This isn't fantasy, but it works as well as that, without the same trappings

About Getting Reviews from Me

First off, I can be found on FacebookTwitter or through email at Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

MY LINKS:
My Poetry AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html
Amazon Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Cthulhu Horror CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com
Atlantis & Lost Worlds 
AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com

I have an email list for my blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com If you are interested please send me an email asking to join the list. Send an email toAlexanderness63@gmail.com to join the list.  I promise never to sell the list or share it.

All 
works and art remain the property of the owners/creators and nothing more than fair use is asserted.

No comments: