Sunday, March 26, 2023

THE LAST BARBARIANS 1 & 2

THE LAST BARBARIANS
Issues 1 & 2
Published by Shadowline/Image
For Anomaly Productions

Words by Brian Haberlin with Hannah Wall
Art by Brian Haberlin
Colors by Geirrod Van Dyke
Lettering by Francis Takenaga
Produced by Hannah Wall and Matt Hansel
Flats by T.R. Briar

Reviewed by Alex Ness
March 27, 2023

To no one's surprise I won't let you linger wondering if I liked this, I did. One hell of a lot. And I say this because people comment in private, don't you dislike anything you read? I dislike many things I read. But I've explained that I normally won't run negative reviews, unless I can explain why it didn't work for me, and suggest who it might work for better. I developed this aversion to negative reviews when I received a great many comics for review per month, and would know, I could write two hundred pages of reviews, and not cover all of what was sent, and then ask myself why would I spend so much time featuring things I didn't like. If something is good, and good enough to share, I want to share the most I can about such good comics.

I've deeply enjoyed Brian Haberlin's previous projects Sonata, The Marked, and Hellcop, so I had to try this work. I am gratified to say, I think this demonstrates how Brian's writing has become more nuanced, layered and delightful. Especially true, I am appreciating an added flavor of the world, and the depth of dialogue and character development present. It would be true to say I love David Hine's work in accord with Brian Haberlin. But in this work Brian shows growth and excellence.


I will get to the discussion of the book soon, but wanted to address something a retailer told me, even though he had sold through his initial purchases of issue 1. Sonata, the Marked, and Hellcop by Brian Haberlin and the Last Barbarians shown here, (and there are more than shown) are offered in numerous covers. I don't know if they have limits, or chase covers. It doesn't really matter to me. The retailer said, he'd sell more comics if they came in just one cover. I asked him why. He said, "People like me wouldn't have to try to figure out the math of how many to order and exactly which ones more than others." As someone who hasn't worked in comic book retail for over 3 decades, I don't know if this is true. I don't know how ordering of multiple covers works, and if you order 10 do you get 2 of every cover... I'm not saying this for the truth of it. I'm saying it because I think the retailer might have OCD and wants to have a space allotted for each cover, and thinks it takes up space other comics could fit. But, HE SOLD OUT. If you sell out you should take that as proof that people enjoyed having a choice.

Let's begin with the covers... I think they are truly beautiful, give a look towards the characters who will show up, and a flavor towards the kind of fantasy story this will be. The beauty of the work is not off set by the fact that there is danger implicit and that one is led to wonder why they are called THE LAST BARBARIANS. Is this like "The Last of the Mohicans" where the last two of the tribe are featured, and if they die, surely they've gone extinct? Additionally there is an appreciated lack of front cover baloney giving the reader reasons to buy it.  It allows in the pure form for the readers to just enjoy at will. Amen to that. Grade A for the quality of covers, and for the trade dress and information being kept at a reasonable level.

The art creates a real looking fantasy world, with ugly, normal, beautiful, odd and entirely average citizens, visitors, beasts and warriors. The landscape has foundation in reality, but is firmly in the world of fantasy. A grand mound with a skull made of bone, stone, or otherwise, stands as a reminder to the generations of various meanings and inspirations. The oceans are filled with life, wild waves, flying fish, whales of amazing talents, and ships that are striking in their powerful construction. The faces offer emotive and expressive features, the action is clear and well expressed, and there isn't one panel that is wasted in vanity pages or wasting pages to lengthen the book.  Grade A

The plot is similar in some fashion to that of adventures in the RPG world. You are someone with talents, but little money, bad luck, situations that just seem to reek of possibility or disaster.  The first issue lets the reader in on the world the main characters, Sylver, a bright talented rogue with some magic abilities, and her brother Shadow a mentally deficient massive fighter type. Others come into the scene, but eventually, in a desperate situation, no lodging, no work, no hope, the two take low ball offer to help a less than trustworthy character who wants to rescue a person he doesn't seem to know his relation towards. All the while, there is a great power relegated to using two lesser beings with his trusted property. And three beings who might want the same things as the adventure party with Sylver and Shadow.  Grade A

I can't reveal more, and frankly, I've revealed enough and more than usual.  But this is a solid story, with the slow start setting the stage in issue one more than made up for by the wicked fast pace of issue two.

Watch for these coming soon:

No comments: