Monday, June 12, 2023

Obituary: Early Spider-Man artist, Co-Creator of Wolverine John Romita

INFORMATION SOURCE

John Romita Passes Away
By Alex Ness
June 12, 2023

I can't tell you that I own all the John Romita works, or that I loved Marvel when I was young and he was kicking butt and taking names. But I came to appreciate Mr Romita in my 20s when all comics were interesting, and it didn't matter which company put a good comic out. I can say once I read enough of the works in question, I truly appreciated the ways Romita used the whole of the page, how his work seemed to be more comfortable with how he showed facial expressions and actions each.  I did like his predecessor Steve Ditko's work but I also liked what Romita did after he left Spider-Man. He did work as an individual artist, but also became the art director, and his influence is seen across most of the characters developed in his era as A.D. 

When I was in my 30s I realized that most of the artists I appreciated were not going to be around forever. So I began writing each to tell them how much I appreciated them. Many responded with a thank you.  But John Romita sent me a 3 page letter telling me how much he appreciated my letter, and how he wished he could draw and do art forever, but he was ready for his time as a father and grandfather and ready to not have deadlines to face, every single day.  It was such an act of grace and kindness, he connected in a real way, and that led me to follow his son's art, and I appreciate the father through the work of his son. 

Godspeed John Romita, the world of Comics will miss you.

Images used in fair use, no copyright infringement intended or asserted.

2 comments: