Tuesday, December 19, 2023

My Favorite Painter of Epic Fantasy & Romance

MEMORIES OF JEFFREY CATHERINE JONES

I try to share the work with others who've never seen the magnificence of Jeffrey Catherine Jones.  I often got mocked for the name she used, but it reflects that she transitioned into a female in 1998 and wanted to keep her historic name, as a person published and with work displayed and used in shows, entertainment and publications.

Upon learning how to contact Jeffrey Catherine Jones, in the late 1990s I wrote letters to her, to which she replied, and we began a free wheeling and fun discussion of arts, life and more. Email changed our frequent exchanges and it was even more richly enlightening for me.  Her life was not easy, and she lost her home, and it took time to begin again, and by 2004 we were writing more sporadically. 

When I began posting my poetry and sharing it, I was gathering artists who would depict my poems, for publication. By one point she said, be a shame if I didn't join that party. But, she had health issues that left that project undone. However, it was an enormously kind thing for her to have considered. Her work was magnificent, and Frank Frazetta made a statement that he had considered her the best painter of the era, which is a high compliment and an unequivocal statement.

She rarely made public comments, but especially so regarding anything outside of art. She was someone I deeply cared for, and one of the kindest people, let alone artists I've encountered.

All work displayed is copyright the estate of Jeffrey Catherine Jones estate ©2011 and beyond.


Jeffrey Durwood Jones
Later changed to Jeffrey Catherine Jones
Born Male
January 10, 1944
Atlanta, Georgia, US
Transitioned to Female
Suffered from severe emphysema and bronchitis, cause of death
May 19, 2011 (aged 67)




No comments: