Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Future and Life in general

May 24, 2021
By Alex Ness

THE FUTURE FOR THIS PAGE

I am going to commit to doing a weekly article here.  It'll include reviews and commentary.  Interviews will happen, but I am going to do them in bunches, rather than individually, as it seems that people like to read the pieces as a group and compare and contrast answers.  That said, I enjoy doing interviews, and when one is especially good I appreciate how deep and with variety the responses to my questions can be.

I plan to keep reviewing. Things are not going to change in that area, but I would say, I really prefer physical copies to consider over digital. I don't read or view things on a device, I use my computer, so, reading a book or comic is not more convenient for me by virtue of it being an ebook. In fact, it is more difficult for me. That remains true for digital music, as I don't spotify or ipod or whatever people use. However, that doesn't mean I won't read or play or listen to your product if you send a digital product. It means that the convenience factor for other people doesn't play the same for me. I'm less of a luddite as someone who is comfortable with things I like, and reading a book and driving someplace with a CD in the player are things I love.

I've been asked, numerous times, why I don't cover Marvel or DC or whoever is new and exciting, if I don't receive review products, in whatever form, I don't want to review them. That is, if I have to buy it, I didn't do so, usually, for purpose of reviewing it. There is a comic I bought for such a purpose, and will be reviewing it here, but that comes from my wanting to give the creative team coverage for all that good work they've done for me. But that will not be the norm.  The normal here is that I make so little money that reviewing what I buy is kind of stupid by me. Giving free pr to people who don't give you product isn't really a way to generate income.  Or even, strangely, good publishing karma.


ALTERNATE EVENTS

I've written in the past how as I am a historian alternative history has an interest for me. I received two emails over the last couple months regarding poems that considered alternate happenings, and was asked by one emailers what five events I thought would change the world most, and the other what five books about Alternate historical facts are the best.

Well the books I would choose is not as clear cut as I'd like, but in the image shown above are four very good works and the last three books I consider one series or one giant book, so I'd like to find a way to include them too. If I have violated my own or someone else's rules, so be it. Life is good. INVASION by Kenneth Macksey is extraordinary.  The tone is perfect, the intelligent consideration of all of the factors of the event wonderful, and the power of the telling of the story is so good it will leave you feeling chilled by the situation it conjures.

I very much appreciate such questions, but things can get messy if one isn't careful about laying ground rules for the changes considered.  For example, one might have Hitler killed in World War One, it wouldn't have been an odd thing considering the risks he took and the courage he showed, that he might have died.  But, as a person who isn't aiming blame, the Germans felt aggrieved after World War One, and it would not surprise me at all, even a tiny bit, if a different person rose to power and led Germany to war again. In fact I think it would be almost certain.  So, not every change leads to a vastly different outcome.  

I think the most dangerous and pregnant with opportunity to change events are:

Alexander the Great narrowly escaped death by the action of his officer Cleitus the Black. At a time with Alexander dazed and having sustained a dangerous head wound, during the Battle of the Granicus by Persians Rhoesaces and Spithridates, his officer Cleitus severed Spithridates's arm just before it would have beheaded or otherwise killed Alexander.  Had that not happened, a very different ancient world would have formed the foundations for the present.  Hellenism, and values of the individual within the group, would have not spread so quickly.  The Persians were not evil, but were highly conservative, a monotheist world would have developed had they endured.

Had the Japanese not opened Japan after the visit of American Matthew C. Perry and ended up being invaded by the Western Powers in a similar fashion as China, the future of the Pacific in the 1900s would be entirely changed.  And not necessarily in the favor of the West.

Hitler is killed in the First World War.  A similarly gifted public speaker rises to power in German, but doesn't utilize anti Semitism.  The future changes, perhaps a second great war does not happen.  Perhaps a new Russia collaborates with the new Germany to counter balance the more democratic states of France and the UK.

The Spring (February/March) Russian Revolution of 1917. Had Kerensky and the moderates/democrats been able to sustain the people rather than attack without the ability to damage the Germans, they might well have survived.  And that ties into the next what if...

Had the German government not sent Vladimir Lenin on his way, protected, to Finland Station in Petrograd (St Petersburg) I believe the second, October Revolution would have been delayed, allowing time for the Provisional Government to show the people it was determined to prove themselves able to lead.  That would change the entire play of the 20th century. 

There are alternative possibilities everywhere great events happen, or fail to do so.  Even the sport baseball is said to be enjoyed in ways that are more complex because so many different possibilities happen with every single pitch.

REVIEW

JULES VERNE'S LIGHTHOUSE

By David Hine and Brian Haberlin
Published by Image Comics
Shadowline
Issue 1 purchased by me, issue 2 provided in ebook form by talent involved.

The original story by Jules Verne had a lighthouse at the bottom of the world, where it had a role in shining lights to enable passage through very dangerous waters.  It is a brilliant work, and made most exciting by pirates and heroism.

The adaptation of it is rather wild, and rather genius.  There is a super computer that is positioned in a certain point of the galaxy where wormholes, blackholes and various star events happen.  It is the only thing that can help navigate through the confounding patterns, density and danger.  And there are humans and intelligent robots to maintain the super computer.  Oh, and there are pirates. 

The art is technically perfect, and displays the right hues and sparkles on metals to look technical where it needs to do so.  And it shows flesh in facial features and movement that rings true.  The writing is quite perfect in tone to match, the dialogue sounds real, the worth of investment for the reader truly pays off.

The team of David Hine and Brian Haberlin have produced incredibly good work.  Both of their works The Marked and Sonata give the reader something different, interesting and finely created images and words.   The works are not standard superheroes nor straight fantasy.  Along with incredible standards of excellence, these ideas make for constant enjoyment.

Now I know that might sound to some like I am saying "And this book continues in that tradition..." Or "But this is not a work comes from the same depths of quality or intent"... 

Issues 1 and 2 Jules Verne's Lighthouse present a reader with something quite new, all the while, it doesn't fall into any pure genre, nor any formula. It's quite different from both Sonata and The Marked, and in a seriously good way. Perhaps it is because I am older and have read all kinds of genres and works, or perhaps the work is just so good it defies genre and limits. I love the take on Jules Verne.  Additionally, this duo of David and Brian create works that are hopeful, exciting, and worth my time to buy and read.  I honestly think the duo needs to keep producing comics, at Shadowline.  I can only imagine what would come next.  This work has echoes of really good things, 2001 a Space Odyssey, but even Interstellar and other great space films and books.

YOUTUBE CHANNELS TO CONSIDER


As I reviewed Odin by Aaron Kerr and interviewed Tyson Allison I thought it would be valuable to mention the various youtube channels to find their music, and perhaps expand your taste in music.

The Swallows
Emperor Penguin Records
Aaron Kerr's Dissonant Creatures
Tyson Allison


ABOUT GETTING REVIEWS FROM ME


First off, I can be found on FacebookTwitter or through email at Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address. I no longer have a post box, although I regret that.  It was a crushing defeat to no longer have a p.o. box, when I came to realize I was getting so little product it made no sense to pay for the privilege to not receive mail at both my home and at the post office. If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Poetry Blog alexnesspoetry.blogspot.com
All of my Published Work  alexnesspoetry.blogspot.com/2007/01/My-Work.html
My Amazon Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess
Lovecraft Horror cthulhudarkness.blogspot.com
Lost Worlds alexnesslostworlds.blogspot.com

No comments: