Saturday, January 28, 2023

COMICS: Roy Thomas, Super Powers, Collecting

COMICS FOR ALL
By Alex Ness
January 29, 2023

This is a brief look at some interesting concepts, ideas, powers and excellent comics to read.

REPRESENTATION AND AGENTS

I've been asked dozens of times, do I get paid to run PR?  Hell no, I consider it popular media talent and industry news, and from most PR firms, it is welcome. That which isn't welcome is from people who demand coverage, and those PR people can go eat a bag of dicks.  But for projects on Kickstarter, long term projects that deserve greater audiences, and people doing a new kind of project or format, PR is quite important.  In my opinion, no one does it better than Lys Fulda.  She is a person who helps creatives, the bloggers, and larger sites, get together, work together and make the best works read or watched or played by more people, and build a better foundation to start with.I am not saying this as PR, simply that over the years, she has been the best, the most involved, the greatest supporter of my site, and probably of many more.  Find her site HERE

ROY'S WAR

Some folks reading this are highly aware of the many decades of quality writing and editing by Roy Thomas.  And while people assume his focus was either Conan, or super heroes fighting super villains, I'd argue, he has written great works, featuring super heroes from the 40s, fighting the Axis powers. His work doing so was clearly a labor of love, and deserves to be collected in tpb form. It is brilliant as comics go for telling such stories.

BODY ORIENTED SUPER POWERS

There are so many different super powers, my initial plan to cover all of them was folly.  With help from beloved comic friend Rich Chapell I whittled it down to body changes, and in particular, shrinking, growing, and stretching. Click on the image to see each character and their use of powers. Some are poorly done others are rather fun. I don't have super powers, but if I did, it would be to mind control bullies to pull down their pants in public and dance a jig.


MY CURRENT COMIC BOOK SEARCH

I rarely talk about my own collecting of comics, mostly because I am more about reading and enjoying than buying, bagging, boarding, and storing away comics like trophies.  I do however have a current search going on.  Marvel comics put out a series of books, some single issues, some larger numbers, and they used the new evolution of quality inks, quality paper. I deeply enjoy the format.

DONE IN ONE

When people ask me what tpb or graphic novel they could pick up without knowing anything prior and enjoy the whole comic experience, I generally dither about and ponder ideas. Not because the comics world doesn't have that, but because some folks don't like superheroes, some folks don't like violence, some dislike vigilantes, and others don't like depth, looking for fun. Well there are plenty of comics or tpbs without superheroes... but not aiming at that here. Find it here. The Watchmen was a fantastically drawn work, with a deeply layered story.  It tells a story about how a historically important group of heroes are being slain, and why.  The New Statesmen is good, but seems to be similar in content.  Squadron Supreme considers a Marvel comics dark take on the Justice League, a DC comic. It is done well, if one buys into the premise. Marvels and Kingdom Come tell stories using realistic looks at heroes, with great writing, and fantastic art. V for Vendetta is a story that isn't one regarding murder, nor hate, but how one person taking offense at egregious evil done in the name of good, chooses to make the world aware, and uses public spectacle to do so.

DIFFERENT KINDS OF WESTERNS

The stereotype of the American Western still holds the attention of the world, if not a declining portion of Americans.  But recently and in the recent past some creative uses of that setting with different concepts allowed for new life in the genre.

Moebius's Lieutenant Blueberry told western stories, but with such grace and beautiful art, and lack of White supremacy themes, that they were a breath of fresh air.

Two Moons by John Arcudi and Valerio Giangiordano is a wonderfully told tale from different viewpoints, embracing the mythic west, and those who come into the land in naivety. 

Ghostdancing by Jamie Delano and Richard Case is authentic, beautiful, dangerous, and makes use of the power of the Ghostdance (a historical event that deserves a whole article to describe).  It is accurate for what it discusses, and brilliant for the fictional narrative.  Why isn't it captured in TPB I wonder?

Timothy Truman and Joe Lansdale's Lone Ranger and Tonto isn't a straight forward western. It features dark creatures, dangerous events, and goes places the Lone Ranger series on television never would have gone. It is a story in West Texas, but it is not told like a typical western story would be. While I prefer Jonah Hex by the same pair, this is a work worth reading, and enjoying.




About Getting Reviews from Me


I can be found on Facebook, Twitter or through email Alexanderness63@gmail.com. I accept hard copies, so when you inquire at any of these places, I'll follow through by telling you my street address.If you send hard copies for review I will always review them, but if you prefer to send pdf or ebooks to my email, I will review these at my discretion. I don't share my pdf/ebooks, so you can avoid worry that I'd dispense them for free to others.

My Creative Blogs:

My 5000 poem Blog AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com
 
Cthulhu Alien Horrors CthulhuDarkness.Blogspot.Com

Atlantis & Lost Worlds AlexNessLostWorlds.Blogspot.Com

My Published Work  AlexNessPoetry.Blogspot.Com/2007/01/My-Work.html

My Amazon Author Page Amazon.com/author/AlexNess

Support: Poplitiko.Blogspot.Com/2022/06/for-sale.html 

All images are copyright © their respective owners, use is simply as fair use and no ownership rights asserted.

No comments: